Electrical cabinet cooling

More
03 Nov 2021 01:02 #225061 by tommylight
Thought about it, had a quick browse through the net = not DIY to do properly, found out there are lots to choose from on aliexpres very cheap, forgot about it! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2021 08:56 #225080 by my1987toyota

Thought about it, had a quick browse through the net = not DIY to do properly, found out there are lots to choose from on aliexpres very cheap, forgot about it! :)

alot of what I had seen on youtube required sintered copper and high heat to make the wick portion of it.

More
03 Nov 2021 10:40 #225086 by tommylight
Exactly.
Sintering is not DIY friendly, i was messing with it back when sintered Ni-Cd batteries came out and they were expensive, did not go well... :)

More
03 Nov 2021 22:06 #225159 by my1987toyota
So that leaves me with either my air to air inter-cooler or back to back heat sinks.
The inter-cooler I already own. LOL the 120mm computer fans give a sence
of scale

Attachments:

More
03 Nov 2021 23:23 #225164 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Electrical cabinet cooling
Win.

Seriously, you need some blue LED's behind it and a CO2 bottle & solenoid to spray the FMIC right before you sidestep the clutch...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, my1987toyota

More
03 Nov 2021 23:55 #225166 by my1987toyota

Win.

Seriously, you need some blue LED's behind it and a CO2 bottle & solenoid to spray the FMIC right before you sidestep the clutch...

I was rolling on the floor with that one.
Maybe I should add a Spearco sticker . That gives 50 extra horsepower to the spindle .

More
04 Nov 2021 00:33 #225171 by tommylight
Forgot to say this when i replied, i do like the intercooler idea a lot, it is simple and functional and it requires 3 fans to work, one of them has to be radial to move the air between the rads, needs to move little air so even small ones will do as the pipes are huge.
The size issue is a bit messier, those rads need to be opened on both sides so that takes a lot of space.
If size was not a limiting factor, i would use rads for sure, cheap, available everywhere, and the most important part: the machine looks like steampunk! :)

More
04 Nov 2021 00:55 #225178 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Electrical cabinet cooling
In the absence of the Spearco sticker and obligatory NOS bottle you are not dealing with an IC engine so the heat generated is not significant. Passive cooling on the outside is probably OK. Remember an electric radiator fan only kicks in once the motor is hot!

I'd leave the external fans off until you do some temperature measurements at the inlet and outlet.

More
04 Nov 2021 01:03 - 04 Nov 2021 01:03 #225179 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Electrical cabinet cooling
duplicate post - delete

Last edit: 04 Nov 2021 01:03 by rodw.

More
04 Nov 2021 09:31 #225215 by my1987toyota

Forgot to say this when i replied, i do like the intercooler idea a lot, it is simple and functional and it requires 3 fans to work, one of them has to be radial to move the air between the rads, needs to move little air so even small ones will do as the pipes are huge.
The size issue is a bit messier, those rads need to be opened on both sides so that takes a lot of space.
If size was not a limiting factor, i would use rads for sure, cheap, available everywhere, and the most important part: the machine looks like steampunk! :)

I will admit yes the inter-cooler route is messier. In most cases the inter-cooler uses thinner materials so heat transfer should be more efficient and has way more surface area for it's size. On the flip side back to back heat sinks are simple and take up less space but wont
have the surface area the inter-cooler would.

As I said I tend to overthink things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds