This is why you do NOT click on unknown links | Video

More
20 Feb 2022 12:47 #235382 by tommylight
As many of you might know by reading this forum, i mentioned several times for users to upload pictures and config files here on the forum and videos on youtube, it takes a single click to give full access of your PC to attackers, from there they have access to your whole network, cameras and mobile phones included.
-
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, robertspark, my1987toyota

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2022 18:52 - 20 Feb 2022 18:59 #235409 by Grotius
Hi,

I know this quy. He is a guru.

On github you can now run scripts. Very dangerous.

A example script, running on a github server :
github.com/grotius-cnc/dump/blob/main/.g.../workflows/blank.yml

Script result, requesting a "whoami"

Remote server say's : "runner"

I think we got a very dangerous situation over here.

If you create a few fake accounts, I think you are master kenobi of overflow.
All github scripts run on timestamps, automated. You can lean back.

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Feb 2022 18:59 by Grotius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Feb 2022 19:59 #235423 by my1987toyota
Great as if I wasn't worried enough about hackers and scammers trying to steal my info.

More
20 Feb 2022 21:28 #235431 by robertspark
So.... whats the cure? {simply not clicking on any "unkown" link is not really an option.... you search for stuff... and you click on links to provide you with the stuff / info you seek or are shown as showing listings.....}

any OS's / browsers better than others?

disabling JS seems a bit extreme?..... is it not just embedded EVERYWHERE!

More
20 Feb 2022 21:49 #235434 by tommylight
It is a literal mine field.
There are much more sophisticated videos on the net with very detailed explanation on how that works, but this one is short and the guy drinks a lot of coffee! :)
And this is not new, it's been around for several years.

More
20 Feb 2022 22:12 #235435 by tommylight

So.... whats the cure? {simply not clicking on any "unkown" link is not really an option.... you search for stuff... and you click on links to provide you with the stuff / info you seek or are shown as showing listings.....}

Did not see this on time as i was replying...
There is no cure and no amount of anti virus will help.
I use Mozilla FireFox, it tends to warn fro unsafe sites, but i am sure they can not keep up with the influx of spammers and scammers that set millions of websites daily just for that.
Linux is about a million times safer than windows for everything, but still can be overtaken. Most of those attacks will do zilch to Linux PC's, and even then the hole will be patched inside of a day.
BTW, never trust the internet about OS security, there are plenty saying windoze is safer, there are plenty saying they are the same, and for some unfathomable reason there are plenty who say Apple OS is safer. Besides being payed heavily from the big boys to say such nonsense, i have no idea how they are capable of such lies.
Linux is the "Fort Knox" compared to them, plain and simple, due to one very important fact:
Time to fix an issue/exploit from it's occurrence for:
Linux = 1 day
Windows = 3 to 6 months
Apple = 6 to 18 months
Sooooo, use Linux, update daily and sleep like a baby. No Chrome!!!
-
And just in case someone has the immaculate idea of refuting this, my first computer was a Sinclair ZX81, second ZX Spectrum, third Commodore 64, fourth Atari 520 STFM, and so on ...... with over 200 useless certifications like MSCE, Cisco, et al.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gitin, ALittleOffTheRails

More
20 Feb 2022 23:02 #235437 by robertspark
I am on the cusp of ditching windows on my laptops..... I don't have the need for it any more and everything I need is available via linux as free variants.

Also fed up with chrome bloatware.

Work laptop will still use windows..... but that is their problem as they manage it and it's locked down

I was just holding out on windows for this sheetcam module as stuff tends to get issued on windows version first:
forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8459#p28057

More
21 Feb 2022 17:55 #235471 by arvidb

Using something like NoScript or uMatrix should go a long way at least. The idea is to block scripts (and other "dangerous" stuff) by default, and explicitly enable it only where needed.

If new to these types of plugins I would definitely start with NoScript. uMatrix is a bit more versatile/powerful but much harder to understand, IMO.

With these plugins in place one can also mark e.g. Google's profiling (google-analytics.com) and advertising ( doubleclick.net ) sites as untrusted and block them completely.

When first adding any of these plugins it is quite annoying - until you figure out just which script sources you need to allow for the sites you visit to function.

Note that by default, at least with NoScript, quite a few "common" sites from Google, Microsoft et al are allowed by default, so you might want to change that.

More
21 Feb 2022 18:51 #235474 by tommylight
-NoScript
-AddBlocker ultimate
-PopUp Blocker Strict
-Dark Reader (thanks to someone eon this forum...)
Also
Settings>Privacy&Security> set to strict and always>do not track
The following user(s) said Thank You: gitin

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds