Well That is Going to Leave a Mark

More
12 Jul 2022 13:04 #247134 by my1987toyota
  As some of you may have noticed I have been missing from the Forum for a few weeks. Yeah, yeah no big loss. LOL.
The reason being I was in the hospital for a week. Mountain bike accident. I fractured 2 vertebrae in my upper back T3 and T4 
to be exact . It required the doctors to fuse T's 1-6 together to stabilize things. I also fractured my left wrist. I currently have
reduced strength in my right hand's 2 middle fingers but it is slowly getting better. I have a large section of my back that
currently has no feeling ( the operation site ). In short my left wrist is in a cast and I have to wear a big back / neck brace.
( I will post some pics of them later )

So what happened
Firstly I was wearing protective gear. Helmet, Pads, ECT. ( good thing )
I was riding on some trails at one of my favorite mountain bike parks . The trail that got me was one I have ridden many times
before. Ironically it wasn't even close to the most challenging trails I have ridden. The spot that got me was at the top of a hill
you ride down and it transitions into a bridge. However coming off the hill at speed I just couldn't make the transition that day. Instead
I went into the ditch underneath the bridge.
Of course at the time I thought I had only severely bruised my back and sprained my wrist ( Adrenalin what can I say ). I could feel my
legs and toes and arms and fingers. I was mobile, so I drug my bike out of the ditch and walked off the trail back to the car. Not
the best idea in hindsight but I did what I had to do. My sister was at the park resting at a pavilion. She doesn't like running the harder trails.
after getting ahold of her on my cell she got some help loading the bikes up. I originally thought I needed to get checked out at an urgent care
( little did I know my sister was actually taking me straight to a hospital ) en route the pain really set in so I asked her to take me to the ER instead to which she replied she had seen my helmet was cracked and the hospital was the destination all along. After arriving in the ER and waiting a few hours in extreme pain having X-ray's CT scans and an MRI they finally had a good idea of the extent of the damage.  They placed me on a mobile bed , gave me morphine,and I was finally able to have some water. After being transferred multiple times to different rooms.
They had one ready for me. They put my left hand / arm in a cast and did surgery on my upper back. after a bit of time in recovery ( days ) and I was cleared to go home.

Take Aways
Stuff happens. I am grateful I am not paralyzed. Will I ride again, Absolutely. Though I may never ride the harder trails again
I am 40 and the risk is becoming too great. This experience will cost me a lot. Yes I do have insurance but their will still be bills
I will have lost time at work and will loose income
My boss is fantastic but this could have just as easily cost me my job . ( kind of hard to work if your paralyzed ).

Things to remember
Life can change in an instant count your blessings when you can and no matter how bad things seem they
can always be far, far, worse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2022 13:35 #247137 by tommylight
Wishing you a quick and painless recovery.
P.S.
I had my fair share of f@ck ups so i am very greatful that i can still walk and run and work.
And for future reference, spine, knees, never stop hurting, ever, just the ammount of pain differs.
Also, i never take painkillers, except for the headache when it gets to the point of messing my breathing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
12 Jul 2022 13:44 #247140 by my1987toyota
Thank you tommylight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Jul 2022 13:52 #247141 by tommylight
You should really try to endure the pain without painkillers gradually, way to many people never come out of it.
Might be a very dumb thing to say to someone in such great pain, but i think i have the right to, 3 times i had a 10mm pipe showed through my ribs with no sedatives at all.
This is one of the times in life that having good memories helps a lot, think about those.

More
12 Jul 2022 14:37 #247150 by my1987toyota
Well tommylight I currently am having to take some meds to keep my heart rate in control ( it would shoot up to 130 BPM if I moved around ) and a muscle relaxer to prevent any spasms as far as other pain control I got off the usual narcotics asap I don't like being on them either.
If I have problems I will take Tylenol.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Jul 2022 21:58 #247193 by JT
Dang that was some bad luck, I was riding my mountain bike around Wolf Creek which I had done hundreds of times a few winters back and I came to the sometimes wet creek about 6-7 miles from the trail head. The creek was deeper than I'd seen it before but I decided to ride across and I was almost across and the front tire hit a rock which sent me to the ground before I could get my foot out of the strap... grabbing for anything to stop my fall I ended up on a rock on my butt and wet up to my waist. I had to get out of the creek (it was pretty cold) and strip and wring out my riding gear and take the fasted way I knew back to the trail head. I've never seen such vivid colors on my back side before!

Heal soon!

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota

More
12 Jul 2022 22:06 #247194 by my1987toyota
Thanks JT . I wonder if some times these things happen because of complacency. ( oh I have run this trail dozens of times I know what I'm doing )

More
13 Jul 2022 10:43 #247222 by JT
Yep, I agree I had crossed that creek hundreds of time so complacency and a bit of a hard head and some tunnel vision is all it took for me.

JT

More
16 Jul 2022 19:09 #247491 by andypugh

I've never seen such vivid colors on my back side before!

I  actually took a sequence of daily photos of my hip and thigh after high-siding my R1 out of Barn Corner at Cadwell Park. 
I was thinking about making an animated GIF for the Wikipedia page on bruising. 

I have raced Enduro a few times, but managed to avoid hurting myself, despite falling off more times than I can count. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota, JT

More
16 Jul 2022 19:29 #247494 by JT

JT

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds