Tool Storage When Living in a Sweat Box

More
18 Aug 2023 13:53 #278373 by my1987toyota
  So for the last few years I have been using a big Igloo cooler with desiccant beads to keep my tools
and holders rust free. My new problem now is I am out growing its capacity and need to expand .
Unfortunately I live in Florida  USA where humidity is always a problem unless you have a climate controlled
room for your machines and tools. I don't . I am trying to do this in a way that doesn't require a lot of electricity
or chemicals . I have no problem building a large tool locker or the like . Figuring out how to get around the
humidity problem at bigger sizes is the issue. Has anyone else had to deal with this sort of thing ?
If so What did you do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2023 18:39 #278412 by tommylight
I am not in Florida, but do live in a part with often very humid air, especially during winter, so i just move the expensive tools to my bed room.
I am used to having something die from humidity/rust every year, and i made my peace with it.
Yesterday i checked an older laptop that got flooded a while back from rain, well a lot of rain that the gutters could not cope with so it went under the shop cladding and inside the shop, where the laptop was on a pallet.
It is dead, may god rest it's chips. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
21 Aug 2023 10:41 #278602 by spumco
LPS-3 for every surface.  Heavy coat for longer-term, spray on rag and wipe for stuff like lathe ways.

Spray-on indoor metal protectant for stuff like tool holder tapers that I don't want to have to clean the wax off. (like Boeshield)

Dehumidifier in shop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota

More
21 Aug 2023 11:37 #278605 by cornholio
Has anyone tried chain-wax, like the stuff riders should use on their. I've used it with success of the mill table. I just give it wiper down when time to play. It can get a bit on the humid side in Ole Sydney time during the Summer.

Like this  
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota, spumco

More
21 Aug 2023 12:16 #278608 by spumco

Has anyone tried chain-wax, like the stuff riders should use on their.

Reading the various SDS...I think chain wax is essentially what LPS-3 and all the other similar anti-corrosion coatings are.  Wax, plus grease to soften, in a solvent.

I'm sure the chain wax has some lubricity additives in it that the corrosion-specific products don't have... I've got a can of it lurking somewhere.

What I like about the LPS-3 is that I can buy it in a regular pump spray bottle (non aerosol) at a lower price per unit volume.  The downside is that it's fairly thick and slightly annoying to clean off precision surfaces.  

The thinner sprays, like Boeshield or the Spray-On stuff, are much easier to live with on ground or finely machined surfaces.  That stuff wipes off easy and doesn't seem to interfere with component fits - but it doesn't last as long as the heavier waxes.  I don't trust the thin stuff for, say, a fixture or vise stored in the bottom drawer of a toolbox for a year or so.

Having been bitten by the flash-rust demon multiple times - with resulting tantrums - I've learned to pay attention to specific weather/temp conditions that result in condensation in my shop.  Those days I get seriously pro-active and bring the dehumidifier up, hose down everything I can find (including inside toolboxes) with anti-corrosion goo, and pray.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds