questions on setting up a Buildbot

More
21 Aug 2023 15:59 #278623 by travis036
i was reading through buildbot.linuxcnc.org/buildslave-admin-guide.html and i wasn't sure how up to date the info was. it says it needs buildbot versions older than 0.9, but my server (Debian 12 on the main VM) has 3.7.0-2.
my server actually runs Proxmox VE 8, so i could setup a VM with nearly any OS, but i don't know what would be best. the server has 40-cores and 128GB ram, so if i can donate a few cycles to LinuxCNC, all the more better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2023 16:41 #278625 by tommylight
See section 8, it refers to Debian Stretch, so a bit more up to date and as far as i can recall there were no major changes.
Do you have a public IP address?

More
21 Aug 2023 16:48 #278626 by travis036
as far as i know, my IP is dynamic, but i have a no-ip.com DynDNS domain of www.tjfhome.net, and i can open what ports i need to for forwarding through my router.
if this is less than ideal, i can figure something else out...

More
21 Aug 2023 18:55 #278634 by tommylight
That might work, i never used dns services, just a public IP, but this does imply having a good firewall or things go sideways very quickly.
Seems you have a Team Fortres server running on the same machine, if that is the case, that is a big no no.
And i absolutely will not use virtualisation anything ever, just a plain server install, i am old school.
It makes a mess with open ports and hardware voulnerabilites are plenty.
But you are hidden behind the DNS service, so that is good.

More
21 Aug 2023 19:08 #278636 by travis036

Seems you have a Team Fortres server running on the same machine, if that is the case, that is a big no no.

it is shutdown as it had a memory leak issue (kept running away with memory). it was running on different CPU cores anyway.

That might work, i never used dns services, just a public IP, but this does imply having a good firewall or things go sideways very quickly.

not sure i understand, the part about things going sideways very quickly. i have the firewall provided by my router. haven't really needed anything more, thus-far.

More
21 Aug 2023 20:11 #278639 by rodw
I'm not sure that the instructions you have are valid above Buster. I seem to remember that there was a blockage which required seb to create a new buildbot buildbot2.highlab.com/. Note the different security models for Debian 11 & 12

Also a decent router that has a seperate DMZ would be recommended (says he that runs his own server without one).

Something like the Dlink  DSR500AC has  seperate network segments to seperate  your private network from your public network. BUt there are plenty of cheap 4 x NIC PC's in China you could run pfsense on to achieve this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, cornholio

More
21 Aug 2023 20:23 #278641 by travis036
yeah, even with Debian Stretch, i was unable to get any apt response to install anything. if there is a way to set something up on say Debian 12, or at least something with repos, i am all for it.

More
21 Aug 2023 20:32 #278643 by tommylight

BUt there are plenty of cheap 4 x NIC PC's in China you could run pfsense on to achieve this.

This is by far the best option, although any old PC will do just fine for this, two NIC's are good enough but having more leaves possibility of having separate local networks, or even load balancing on the public side.
I also absolutely avoid using of the shelf firewall/router, anytime there is an issue/vulnerability the manufacturing company takes ages to post updates (they are busy trying to cover it) so all that time it leaves the server open to anyone who bumps into it.
Just to be clear, i am saying that the home made old PC firewall is much better than the ones costing $10000, and by a huge margin.

More
21 Aug 2023 20:35 #278644 by rodw
Well if you used the new buildbot I linked to, you could set your APT up as per chapter 9 in this doc I wrote for 2.9 and Debian 12.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html

I used ths technique to build the installer and almost every time I built it, the linuxcnc version changed :)
I'm not set up to run a buildbot. I would like to build a cross compiler for the Raspberry Pi 4B so images for it don't have to be built on a Pi.
Now that would be an interesting buildbot project for you!

More
21 Aug 2023 20:39 #278645 by travis036
i'm gonna call the call the idea abandoned. seems my off-the-shelf router isn't good enough...

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds