questions on setting up a Buildbot

More
21 Aug 2023 20:45 #278646 by rodw

BUt there are plenty of cheap 4 x NIC PC's in China you could run pfsense on to achieve this.
This is by far the best option, although any old PC will do just fine for this, two NIC's are good enough but having more leaves possibility of having separate local networks, or even load balancing on the public side.
I also absolutely avoid using of the shelf firewall/router, anytime there is an issue/vulnerability the manufacturing company takes ages to post updates (they are busy trying to cover it) so all that time it leaves the server open to anyone who bumps into it.
Just to be clear, i am saying that the home made old PC firewall is much better than the ones costing $10000, and by a huge margin.

A long time ago I ran a firewall that booted off a floppy on an old PC with 3 x NIC's. Those were the days when IP addresses were so abundant my ISP gave me a 64 IP block!

It would be worth asking for a fixed IP address from your ISP and get rid of the dynamic DNS. The people I buy my domain names from also have a free DNS server which lets me delegate my domains.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2023 20:52 #278648 by tommylight

not sure i understand, the part about things going sideways very quickly. i have the firewall provided by my router. haven't really needed anything more, thus-far.

Your router firewall is very good at protecting from "script kiddies" and "i am a hacker" kind of people, but it is not at all good at protecting from "i am pretty good with computers, in a quiet voice" kind of people.
Do a search for your router like "d-link model-name vulnerabilities", have a blast reading about it.
They all have issues, even the most feature rich and money rich ones!
The home made one, gets updated in about a day in case there is an issue. The best thing is they are cheap, so you can have two or more daisy chained, so even if someone makes it's way in, he/she/it will be baffled at why the hell he/she/it can not find anything, again and again.
I have plenty of experience with everything Cisco, and HP and Dell servers/storage, even my 20 year old PC has a HP 40GB DAT, yes with tapes! :)

More
21 Aug 2023 21:58 #278655 by travis036
i just didn't see the purpose of creating Fort Knox, when all i wanted to do was help out.
That's alright, i will just stay worthless as usual...

More
21 Aug 2023 23:32 #278657 by rodw

i just didn't see the purpose of creating Fort Knox, when all i wanted to do was help out.
That's alright, i will just stay worthless as usual...

Sorry, we got a bit off topic. I don't think anybody wanting to help out is worthless! Thats why I do my bit in my own way. I can't really help with buildbots though.

More
22 Aug 2023 00:18 #278659 by tommylight

But you are hidden behind the DNS service, so that is good.

I did say that, so that was the go ahead or green light or go for it. :)
I just went a bit to deep, that was my profession for a lot of years, way to long, to the point of breaking my teeth grinding them during sleep, forcing myself not to go postal and ruin OSCE network, the person responsible for network security in the head quarters here was a dumb f#k, would not accept any advice and kept insisting "we are very safe". I checked, they were not. I did not do any damage, i never did any damage to any network.
After i quit, some IT staff called me and asked what can they do to fix stuff on their own, so i told them.
Sorry for this, old habits die hard... :(
And i am really sorry if that made you uncomfortable, it was absolutely not my intention, it never is.

More
22 Aug 2023 00:57 #278664 by phillc54
FWIW over the years I have seen more than one offer of buildbot slave hosting but I don't recall any being taken up.

More
22 Aug 2023 11:34 #278689 by travis036
i don't know how to run buildbot, but i still have no issue running a slave (that sounds bad....)
i just need to know what to do to set it up. i like the idea of buildbot2, if it runs on newer systems. i wouldn't even mind a Rpi buildbot, if i could get the help setting up the cross-compiler.

i tried setting buildbot up on Debian 12, by myself, but after the install, the testing commands wouldn't run, so clearly i didn't know what i was doing. ;)

More
22 Aug 2023 11:41 #278690 by rodw

i tried setting buildbot up on Debian 12, by myself, but after the install, the testing commands wouldn't run, so clearly i didn't know what i was doing. ;)

Neither do I trying to buld an instaler ISO for linuxcnc  I'll try and dig into the pi stuff if I get this finished...

More
22 Aug 2023 14:07 #278704 by travis036
as i said just when the forum died... i have Buildbot 3.7.0-2 installed and running, sorta. it has nothing to do, but it is running. i couldn't install buildbot-www as it has no source from apt, that i could find, so no web frontend.

More
22 Aug 2023 15:51 #278717 by tommylight
One thing you could do with it, is to use it as a web site scraper, meaning downloading the whole LinuxCNC web site as is and setting it to download new stuff every day or two or every week.
This will not be a usable web site as it can not access databases and credentials, but it will have pages and text and pictures as they are here, so this will be "last resort" saved info in case something goes very wrong with this server. It is the same thing "way back machine" did.
Not useful normally, but can be.
I had such a snapshot for quite a while, luckily never needed it.
And if you do this, set set at least 1 second of time between requests, otherwise it will try to download everything as fast as your link will allow and overload the existing server. WGET has the option to set any time between requests. It takes a lot of time, but keeps all happy.
-
All this is not meant to discourage you, i absolutely respect your will to help, but as with anything internet related, there are a lot of security stuff to consider, in this case the buildbot, IF anyone gets access to your server, he/she/it can compromise it by inserting very little code into existing one that will compromise any other PC running it, then do a DDOS attack on the main server just long enough to make users switch to your server for a while and infect many, many other PC's, OR even worse, if the main buildbot fails and everyone switches to your server, everyone using it will be compromised.

Time to create page: 0.334 seconds