How May the LinuxCNC IRC channel be Improved?

More
29 Aug 2023 03:20 #279243 by rodw

Are you using AMD Ryzen with 5.9 kernels or higher?

I'm not talking about network latency with 5.9 or higher kernels, only CPU latency.

DKMS is not used for any open source kernel modules. Well it can be but we aren't using any nvidia and similar junk.

I have never bought an AMD PC for 20 + years.
There are now a lot more factors to consider than CPU latency in some instances with modern systems
I've never used a parallel port with linuxcnc. I don't even have a PC where one could be installed.
I've only ever used mesa ethernet boards or ethercat with linuxcnc. 
For base thread latency, I would try installing my 6.3 kernel and see if you get an improvement. You should.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NzQIHnf9...chOOxaER?usp=sharing
grab the headers as well.  Latency on my 7 year old J1900 is significantly improved on Bookworm so it is not all bad news.
the 6.5 kernel has just been released. I will build it when I get through my current projects.

Yes DKMS drivers are not open source or in the kernel and not in non-free-firmware but are definitely required on some hardware.

If the developers are concerned about latency, I assume you want to improve it before releasing 2.9.
If that is the case, Where is the issue and why isn't it tagged 2.9 Must fix?
You never know, if you are public about it, a user might propose a fix. After all, his is an open source project.....

I would like to think that all of the developers focus is on closing the must fix list, not chasing red herrings for which a solution will never be found. There are only 6 issues on it...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2023 04:02 #279247 by tommylight

I'm not talking about network latency with 5.9 or higher kernels, only CPU latency.

He is talking about latency the Intel I3, I5, I7, I9 had till generation 8 or 9, then back in generation 11, 12, 13, is there again. Xeon's of the same generation did not have that terrible latency.
There are plenty of videos on youtube describing that issue in detail, even for games.
AMD does not have that issue since first generation of Ryzen's.
Plenty youtubers/sreamers moved on to AMD just because of that, and if you need evidence, if you have any of the above generations, try editing a video then do some scrubbing (moving through the timeline with the mouse), at first not very noticeable, but after several back and forth, it is terrible. For some reason lag has lag, so it seems to be compounding !

More
29 Aug 2023 16:19 #279297 by travis036
if i had to pick between IRC, Discord, and the forum:
IRC for it's rapid results, during the right part of the day.
Discord for the ability to have live chat on many possible channels, so more topics can be discussed without interrupting another conversation.
Forum for it's wider searchable knowledge, though generally slower response time.

Matrix is really just IRC with Discord emojies...

i like the friendliness of the people on IRC during periods of non-topic chatter. but overall, i like Discord as i can use it on all my devices easily. i think the number of channels could be expanded though, like the forum listing, as far as broad topics.

More
05 Sep 2023 23:15 #280034 by cakeslob
I check the logs all the time, just sayin

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds