Want some holes drilled in steel

More
19 Aug 2019 11:05 #142485 by jools
Hi All

I'm in Lincoln UK and want some holes drilled in steel. The bar is 15mm thick and I want them right through, need seven drilling per piece of steel 60mm between centres 4 pieces of steel total.
I need them to be done in one pass as they are for mounting linear rails on and they need to be precise.

If you can help please just respond on here and I'll get in touch.

Regards

Jools

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2019 17:47 #142507 by pl7i92
the real holes or the Gcode to get the holes

More
19 Aug 2019 18:11 #142513 by jools
Real holes in real steel.

More
27 Aug 2019 21:36 #143362 by andypugh
How big are the holes?

360mm is just a fraction more than the total travel of my mill.

Do you have a drill press? Have you considered using a transfer punch and the guides themselves as a marking jig?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jools

More
28 Aug 2019 17:56 #143458 by jools

How big are the holes?

360mm is just a fraction more than the total travel of my mill.

Do you have a drill press? Have you considered using a transfer punch and the guides themselves as a marking jig?

Hi Andy
Yeah I ended up drilling and tapping one end to fix it, then put a 6mm drill slightly through the 6mm hole at the far end. This left a center mark that I could then drill and tap. Once both ends done I rinsed and repeated all the way down, worked a treat.

My issue at the start was a lip on the hole in the rail (or my mistake) meaning I had it measured it at 5.6mm not 6mm. The slight offset of the center then meant I wasted a bar.....

Jools

More
28 Aug 2019 18:05 #143461 by pl7i92
you shoudt have ask the plumber steelmaker or even the hardwarestore around you they kow the people that get the basement mashines

More
29 Aug 2019 23:13 #143615 by BigJohnT
See if you can find what we call over on this side of the pond a "spot drill" the exact size of your hole. This will make a starting hole the exact centre of the hole. Note I used the British accent for some of the words...

JT

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds