Need Help

More
29 May 2011 23:00 #10173 by xranch
Need Help was created by xranch
Maybe I'm just dense. I cant get this to work on my computer. I am attempting to run this on an HP 630. It is a fairly late model computer, Intel Pentium llll. Windows XP system. It has no internet connectivity. I am using a laptop to download the .iso file and burn it to a CD. I also have it on a USB Flash drive. I would really like to use EMC2 to run my CNC, but for the life of me I cant get it to boot Linux. I guess I need someone to tell me what to do, step by step. I am just an old farm boy that built a CNC machine and now I am trying to get the computer end working. I'm not a computer expert and just need some more instruction of how to get EMC2 to work. It looks like it will do the job if I can get it to work. I guess I just need some help. Thank you for you response.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2011 23:12 #10174 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Need Help
Did you check the md5sum of the .iso file and burn it as an image?

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/common_Getting_EMC.html#r3

Will other CD's boot from that drive?

John

More
29 May 2011 23:21 #10175 by xranch
Replied by xranch on topic Re:Need Help
I have no problem using other CD's on that drive. I have used that computer for many years for other things. It seems to work just fine.

More
30 May 2011 11:29 #10183 by BigJohnT
My guess is you didn't read the link I provided and didn't check the md5sum as the instructions tell you to do and didn't burn the iso as an image but only copied the files....

Starting a new thread for each question is not really needed when it is the same problem...

John

More
30 May 2011 16:39 #10188 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Need Help
xranch wrote:

I am using a laptop to download the .iso file and burn it to a CD. I also have it on a USB Flash drive..

My guess would be that you are just copying the .iso file to the CD or USB stick, rather than using the image to create a Bootable CD.
If you look at the CD or USB stick in Windows do you see a single file ending in .iso, or do you see a whole bootable file system?

Try using Unetbootin to create a bootable USB stick from the .iso file:
unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

More
30 May 2011 18:58 #10189 by xranch
Good Afternoon,

I am happy to report I followed your directions exactly and I can see Ubuntu trying to boot when I start the computer. I am celebrating a minor victory! But unfortunately I get an error message that locks up my system, it reads; "(process : 329) : GLib- WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)". The system just locks up there. If I remove the CD and unplug it, Windows comes up fine. I feel good progress here, just a another tweak and I should have it. HooRay! (lol) . Any help or directions would be greatly appreciated.

More
30 May 2011 19:38 - 30 May 2011 19:48 #10190 by BigJohnT
I have seen weird things trying to boot the LiveCD on a winblows machine before that swapping out the hard drive for a clean hard drive fixed. Also you might try and disable booting from the hard drive just to test...

I have also seen hardware issues that using an older version of Ubuntu fixed. If your hardware is kinda dated try the 8.04 LiveCD.

John
Last edit: 30 May 2011 19:48 by BigJohnT.

More
30 May 2011 19:47 #10193 by andypugh
Googling for that error message seems to suggest that it might only happen some of the time.
You could try rebooting a few times (though that doesn't seem like a great long-term solution)

More
30 May 2011 20:39 #10194 by andypugh
xranch wrote:

I am attempting to run this on an HP 630.

Looking on the Internet, it seems that that machine does not have a parallel port, PCI slot or PCI-e, so you won't be able to control real hardware with it.

More
30 May 2011 21:30 #10196 by xranch
I have been using that PC for quite some time. It does have a parallel port. I'm very sure of that because my old printer only worked on a parallel port. It has several USB ports as well. I am pretty sure the model says 630 on the front. I will try the older version and see if that works. This model as a Pentium 4 with a gig of ram though. It is probably less than 5 years old. I use an IMac now. Too bad This doesn't run on a Mac.

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds