Need Help

More
30 May 2011 22:48 #10201 by xranch
Replied by xranch on topic Re:Need Help
I made a mistake on the model. The 630 model is the hard drive, it is an hp Pavilion 844n.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2011 00:15 #10204 by xranch
Replied by xranch on topic Re:Need Help
Well I have downloaded every version of Ubuntu from Lucid to Dapper Drake. Lucid Lynxs wont boot, Hardy Heron has shell errors during boot and so does Dapper Drake. I really wanted to try this but I think I'm just going to have to pony up for Mach. I have no problem installing that or running it. I don't know why this wont work, but I'm afraid I'm done at this point.:(

More
31 May 2011 01:17 #10206 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Need Help
Really sounds like you have broken hardware (especially the shell errors) I would at least run a memory test...

More
31 May 2011 09:50 #10213 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Need Help
xranch wrote:

Well I have downloaded every version of Ubuntu from Lucid to Dapper Drake. Lucid Lynxs wont boot, Hardy Heron has shell errors during boot and so does Dapper Drake. I really wanted to try this but I think I'm just going to have to pony up for Mach. I have no problem installing that or running it. I don't know why this wont work, but I'm afraid I'm done at this point.:(

I can see your point.

However, the Hardy Heron LiveCD really ought to work. Were you using the .iso from this link?
www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-emc2-aj13-i386.iso

What were the "shell errors" you saw?

It is worth noting that even if you do get EMC2 running on the laptop there is a fair chance that the laptop hardware will not "play nice" with the realtime system. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to get EMC2 working and run the latency test. (Though you can do that from a CD boot, without installing)

For the price of Mach3 you can buy an Intel D510MO motherboard and supporting hardware. We know that works well, but I guess you want to be building a CNC machine, not assembling a PC.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds