EMC2 ran from live CD but not from install

More
26 Jun 2011 20:08 #10882 by mark_J
Hi guys,

Having built my CNC machine and it working fine with Mach3 I wanted to try EMC2 as when researching software etc I liked the idea of EMC2 (been a linux fan for a while, but admit still have no ideas finding my way around it much lol!)

Anyway, I ran the live CD and chose one of the specs in the list (will come to that later!) and the program ran where I could see the main screen etc no problems, so decided to install the live cd which installed fine.

Now, my pc that I use for the CNC machine is in the shed at the bottom of the garden and isnt connected to the net at all, and when i booted ubuntu and ran EMC2 it popped up an error window (sorry not got the list it popped up) but I just cant get the program to load as I have tried choosing various different machine types etc (apart from the sim ones I think as only just read on here about choosing a simulation mode)

PC specs are:

1Ghz cpu
640 meg ram (I think lol!)
Nvidea gfx card

So any info would be appreciated (if needed can see if i can grab the error list tomorrow as its getting late now here)

Also, I'm using the Toshiba chipset driver board off ebay (yeah yeah, I know! lol :lol: ) and I have absolutely NO idea which setup to choose when running the program.

Ok, enough waffle now, but any help would be appreciated.

Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2011 09:56 #10891 by Rick G
Hello,

Yes will need the error code to be more helpful but you can start with the getting started guide which should be located on the cnc menu.

After that run the Latency test.

Then run Stepconf to set up your machine.

You can try a sample configuration but it will probably need to be modified to run with your hardware.

If you want to run a sample configuration make sure it does not require special hardware as this will prevent it from running, good idea to start with a simple configuration to get started.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Rick G

More
27 Jun 2011 10:37 #10893 by mark_J
Thanks Rick.

Will get the error report when I get into the shed.

I've been reading the forum a bit and seems to be that the nvidea cards are a cause for problems so will be testing with the default VESA driver and a few other snippets I've seen.

Looking forward to getting it working :)

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds