ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient

More
17 Aug 2011 23:37 #12568 by schmidtmotorworks
Today I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 on a D510MO with a pen drive.

I am getting the following error

ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient
SRST failed (ERROR = -16)

It repeats that a few times and gives up.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2011 09:34 - 18 Aug 2011 09:41 #12572 by ArcEye
Hi

If you google your error message, you will see that this is a long standing problem with some hardware, motherboards.

It is nothing to do with EMC.

It may well have come to light because you are trying to load from USB, if you have previously installed systems on the same rig via IDE CD for instance

A quick look showed it can be related to incorrect HDD jumpering (or sometimes even partitioning) or the actual SATA controllers.

There have been issues related to kernels and the way they handled disks, but since it is a special kernel which works with everyone elses computers, it liable be something in your own system
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/213308

Afraid you will have to do a lot of research based upon the actual hardware you have to find the answer.

regards
Last edit: 18 Aug 2011 09:41 by ArcEye.

More
18 Aug 2011 11:49 #12576 by andypugh
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

The D510 has one USB port specifically optimised for USB dive booting, but I think that is the internal wierd one.

I didn't find this out until too late, but managed to install from USB using one of the rear-panel USB ports and a USB stick setup by the utility on a different Ubuntu machine and the EMC2 .iso image.

More
18 Aug 2011 13:24 #12578 by schmidtmotorworks
Thanks, now I'm trying to decide if I should get a SATA CD drive and try that.

More
18 Aug 2011 13:40 #12581 by schmidtmotorworks
andypugh wrote:

schmidtmotorworks wrote:

The D510 has one USB port specifically optimised for USB dive booting, but I think that is the internal wierd one.

I didn't find this out until too late, but managed to install from USB using one of the rear-panel USB ports and a USB stick setup by the utility on a different Ubuntu machine and the EMC2 .iso image.

Do you remember what utility you used to put it on the pen drive?
I tried a few of them, the one linked on the Ubuntu page "Universal USB Installer" seemed to be the best. It had a list of builds that didn't include the EMC2 build but did have one at the bottom for non-listed builds. I tried to use that for the Live CD but it returned a message something like "OS error" (I forget now, it was a long weekend).

More
18 Aug 2011 14:04 #12582 by andypugh
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

Do you remember what utility you used to put it on the pen drive?

No, but It was the one you get by clicking System->Administartion->Startup Disc Creator in Ubuntu.

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds