EMC2 will not run a second time

More
09 Nov 2011 22:48 #14731 by labmaster
Hi, i have installed the current version of emc2 from LiveCD packages and made some changes according to the troubleshooting manpage. OS is 10.04 and emc2 is version 2.4.3.

When I start emc2 the first time after a computer reboot everything start in a proper way and i can control my CNC machine. If i shut down emc2 and try to restart emc2 I receive the debug report window and the the program will stop.

As far as I can see emc2 try to load RTAPI moduls every time it start by running /etc/init.d/realtime and there is the place where the first error show up. The RTAPI is already loaded and insmode is reporting an error message.

If I make some quick and dirty trick in the /etc/init.d/realtime so that it will report an ok return code the script /usr/bin/emc will continue and a new error will show up later when it try to load another module.

Is there any other who have stumbled over this problem and found a solution?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2011 11:56 #14736 by Davenc
I'd suggest posting the debug log so the people in the know can view the log for them selves. You are probably not going to get any help without the logs.

More
10 Nov 2011 12:44 #14739 by andypugh
labmaster wrote:

As far as I can see emc2 try to load RTAPI moduls every time it start by running /etc/init.d/realtime and there is the place where the first error show up. The RTAPI is already loaded and insmode is reporting an error message.

You get this problem if RTAI doesn't unload cleanly. I see it a lot when writing buggy drivers. It shouldn't happen with released versions of EMC2.

Which config are you using? Does it load any custom components? Does it load any components that I wrote that are not as unbuggy as I hoped? :-)

Can you reboot, start EMC2, stop EMC2, then type "dmesg" in a terminal window, and attach the output to your reply message?

More
10 Nov 2011 19:06 - 10 Nov 2011 19:10 #14748 by labmaster
Hi Andy!

Thanks for your reply. I also tout so and here are the output from dmesg.

By the way, I have upgraded to emc2 latest version 2.4.7 using synaptic package manager. I have still the same problem.

I am using the config files created by the install package and by Stepconf Wizard. Tell me if you want them attached to.

File Attachment:

File Name: dmesg_v1.txt
File Size:40 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Nov 2011 19:10 by labmaster.

More
10 Nov 2011 19:17 #14749 by andypugh
That's rather strange. The dmesg _claims_ that RTAI has unloaded cleanly.

What does lsmod say?

More
10 Nov 2011 22:09 - 10 Nov 2011 22:10 #14751 by labmaster
No it's not strange because the RTAI is now unloaded properly.

I was so frustrated yesterday when I posted the message and I had not get rid of the frustration when I replied to your message Andy. It's work fine after I upgrade to version 2.4.7 from the Live CD version 2.4.3. It was my fault because I forgot to reboot after the upgrade and when you ask me to do so for the dmesg dump it started to work :).

Well, in version 2.4.3 /etc/init.d/realtime stop complained that RTAI was used by another process when rmmod was executed on my system.

I hope I did not took to much of your time Andy.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2011 22:10 by labmaster.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds