Need major help kinds clueless

More
15 Nov 2011 13:12 #14831 by tjfisher
Ok so first let me start with I need to load a freshly nuked/zeroed hard drive . So with that said there is no windows no partitions , no formatt , I have a old 8.04 / emc live cd that will boot to option scene than dresses and the kitt bar , I have also burned a new 10.04 /emc that boot and then ask to reboot think I have a bad copy but the 5sum thing is correct I might download again . But any help is greatly appeciated . Do I need to get a diffenent Iso to formatt first ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2011 16:31 #14841 by andypugh
I am pretty sure that the LiveCD ought to install to a new, unformatted drive. I am pretty sure that is what I must have done when I set up my current machine.

It is possible to have a good image file, but create a faulty CD from it.

More
15 Nov 2011 19:43 #14848 by tjfisher
I guess I could check the cd on my working pc to see if it's the disk . I'll try that tonight

More
17 Nov 2011 14:16 #14896 by tjfisher
Ok so I guess I can't burn a good ISo , I have the recommended Iso recorder and burned at 1x the slowest possible speed on a standard cheap disk still comes up with errors and or won't boot to the cd . Arrr !!!!!! I have not yet tryed to install a 10.04 from the Ubuntu site then try and add emc2 that seem a bit deeper over my head. Anyone have any other ideas I would hate to just settle with Mach 3 and it's cost

More
17 Nov 2011 14:34 #14898 by BigJohnT
Have you followed the instructions here:

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/common_Getting_EMC.html

Pretty hard to diagnose with so little information and with general non specific information.

Is this a really old laptop?

BTW, you can try mack for free last time I looked some years ago... good luck with that.

John

More
17 Nov 2011 14:41 #14899 by andypugh
tjfisher wrote:

disk still comes up with errors and or won't boot to the cd . Arrr !!!!!! I have not yet tryed to install a 10.04 from the Ubuntu site then try and add emc2

If the 8.04 CD works, why not use that one? You can still upgrade EMC2 to the very latest level, without updating Ubuntu.

More
17 Nov 2011 16:20 #14905 by ArcEye

I have a old 8.04 / emc live cd that will boot to option scene than dresses and the kitt bar

I don't think he does have a working 8.04 CD, but I still haven't figured out what this means! (pre-emptive text?)

Do you not know someone else with a computer and CD writer who could download and burn the iso for you?

I could post you one, but it would cost too much from UK, sure someone in US could send you one at cost.

More
17 Nov 2011 17:41 #14907 by tjfisher
That disk is not working right either it gets to the install screen then when you click to install it freezes in the scrolling bar screen . Sorry about the text I'm working off the iPhone at times and it tries to think for me lol

More
18 Nov 2011 12:53 #14916 by andypugh
tjfisher wrote:

That disk is not working right either it gets to the install screen then when you click to install it freezes in the scrolling bar screen

You could try a bootable USB key, though I am not sure that will work any better.

It might be worth booting off of a Windows CD to get the HD formatted, though that shouldn't be necessary.

More
18 Nov 2011 16:57 #14926 by ArcEye
Hi

I have had a new computer which would not run the 8.04 install disc and an old one which would not run the 10.04 disc, but never one that would not run either.

We don't know what hardware you have, if you want to run something else that will format the HDD and set up an ext2-3 filesystem and then try installing Ubuntu again, over the top, try the Debian Squeeze net-install 486 image.

I have installed it on both a Pentium II 400mHz (ish) and an Intel quad core fire breathing 2.8gHz machine, so it seems to run on anything.

The download is very light (168MB) and it gets the rest from the Debian servers.

I have compiled a RTAI kernel, magma and EMC2 against it, which worked fine, if Ubuntu simply won't run on your machine, but one of the versions should.

regards

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds