E-stop broke after update to 2.4.6

More
04 Dec 2011 19:12 #15368 by cwebs
Long story short, had to replace computer on CNC router, install ubuntu 8.04, set up step config and tested machine. OK. Then I updated to 2.4.6 using Synaptic package manager. I watched as the My Mill icon changed size to about half it's size. Then tried EMC2 again. Can't get the e-stop button to release so I can click on the power button. I tried step config and inverted pin one. It started one time. Now the same problem. I then stepconfiged the pin one to "unused". E-stop button still in and won't release. I am getting very old and don't have much hair left. What can I look at now? Thanks Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2011 19:54 - 04 Dec 2011 19:55 #15370 by BigJohnT
Carl,

Did you upgrade from 2.3x to 2.4x?

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?UpdatingTo2.4

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?UPDATING

If your starting from scratch I'd use the 10.04 LiveCD to install EMC with.

John( who is old but still has lots of hair to pull out :) )
Last edit: 04 Dec 2011 19:55 by BigJohnT.

More
04 Dec 2011 20:12 #15373 by andypugh
cwebs wrote:

Then tried EMC2 again. Can't get the e-stop button to release so I can click on the power button.

That's odd, I don't think anything has changed which would affect that.

Did you just use the machine config unaltered, or did you re-run stepconf?

More
04 Dec 2011 20:28 #15374 by cwebs
Yes upgrade was 2.3 to 2.4.6/7. I stayed with 8.04 because it worked fine before. Installed 10.04 on house computer and had trouble with it. So if it ain't broke I ain't doing it right. I tried 10.04 on the OLD CNC computer and couldn't get the package manager to download EMC2. Might have been because the puter was on life support but went straight line on me.

More
04 Dec 2011 20:29 #15375 by cwebs
I re-ran step conf

More
04 Dec 2011 20:32 #15378 by cwebs
Seems to be working for the moment. I ran step config again and inverter e-stop in and that made it work. BUT running a test program EMC2 shut off three times. Had to click the power button back on. Did that a few time before with old computer also.

More
04 Dec 2011 21:22 #15379 by andypugh
cwebs wrote:

running a test program EMC2 shut off three times. Had to click the power button back on. Did that a few time before with old computer also.

You might need to debounce the e-stop.

(I will also mention that the physical E-stop ought to stop the machine independently of the software)

There is a debounce function available in HAL.
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/debounce.9.html

More
04 Dec 2011 21:31 #15382 by cwebs
andypugh wrote:

cwebs wrote:

running a test program EMC2 shut off three times. Had to click the power button back on. Did that a few time before with old computer also.

(I will also mention that the physical E-stop ought to stop the machine independently of the software)

I think your are correct. What I will do is redo all the connections to make sure nothen has virbrated loose and wireing is still good. Micro switches might be a problem also. They are old. Just a good house cleaning. Thanks Carl

More
07 Dec 2011 15:13 #15444 by cwebs
cwebs wrote:

andypugh wrote:

cwebs wrote:

I think your are correct. What I will do is redo all the connections to make sure nothen has virbrated loose and wireing is still good. Micro switches might be a problem also. They are old. Just a good house cleaning. Thanks Carl

I did a house cleaning and found a bad limit micro switch. just taping on it would shut down machine. Tried it several times and that limit switch would shut it down. Vibration would set it off. It was the X right extreme micro that never gets used. Thanks for sparking my head to hardware problem and not software.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds