Upgrading to a Beta Version

More
05 Dec 2011 00:29 - 05 Dec 2011 15:29 #15385 by fgauder
I needed some features that are in EMC2 version 2.5 and found that upgrading to it required learning a few things that weren't in my toolbox. All the go here and go there instructions I found didn't give the whole package, at least in a way I could understand.

This thread is for those of you who are about as clueless as I am but are giving it a try anyway. If there is a easier, duh, way to do this please correct me. The following is what I did to install version 2.5.

1. Open gedit by clicking "Applications" then "Accessories" then "gedit Text Editor".

2. In gedit click "File" then "Save".

3. Name the file "emc2-buildbot.list" (without the quotation marks) and then click on "Desktop" under "Places" to save it to the desktop. Next, click "Save".

4. Go to this link, buildbot.linuxcnc.org/, and copy the 2 lines that correspond to your system and what you want to install. If you have Lucid 32-bit realtime and want to install version 2.5 pre-release, these are the lines you need:

deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid v2.5_branch-rt
deb-src buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid v2.5_branch-rt

5. Paste the 2 lines from #4 into the file from #3 and click "File" then "Save" and close the file.

6. Open a terminal by clicking "Applications" then "Accessories" then "Terminal".

7. Enter this line in the terminal, "sudo mv ~/Desktop/emc2-buildbot.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d" also, without the quotation marks and hit "Enter". The "~" is on the key above the "Tab" key.

8. You will be asked to enter your password, do it and hit "Enter", even if the cursor didn't move.

9. Enter this line in the terminal, "sudo apt-get update" and hit "Enter".

10. Lastly, enter this line in the terminal, "sudo apt-get install emc2" and hit "Enter". Answer yes to all questions.

If all goes well, you'll have version 2.5, I did. I hope this saves someone some time and frustration.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2011 15:29 by fgauder. Reason: added info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2011 01:22 #15508 by SRT
Replied by SRT on topic Re:Upgrading to a Beta Version
Thank you I should have started here. I have been messing with this all evening.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds