I'm back! and still confused!

More
06 Dec 2011 01:54 #15418 by submicro
Hello to all

Well I've been trying my hardest to find a USB board to replace my C10 break out board. No luck though at least not one that works with EMC2! So I decided to resume my fight with the C10.
I purchased a new cable, reread the posts from my last attempt and gave her a try. Again no joy! so I did some reading and figured out that I thought +5v was needed on the drivers enable line but it was holding it in dissable!!!DOH! Pulled the +5v from the enable and hooray we have whirring motors.:woohoo:

But wait there's more! Ok so now I have the motors working, the problem now is when I use stepconf wizard I use the test motor and get the motors tuned in, they sound great smooth and quiet. But when I run a test program the motors sound like they're trying to move a 2 ton block! what gives? I reran step conf and the motors still sound nice n smooth. I'm using ballscrews with .200 per/rev drivers set to half step, although I tried it in whole step, same prob.

Sorry I was so long winded:huh:
SubMicro
A.K.A. Robert Willis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2011 10:52 #15422 by Rick G
You might want to check your SCALE to start, when you command a 1" move does the axis move 1"? If not adjust the SCALE first.
Try moving your axis at different speeds to see if it a speed issue. Try adjusting your accleration.
If you move one axis at a time is it O.K.?
Does a combined move cause problems?
Try reducing the velocity settings by a large factor, say 1/5 and see what happens.
It sounds like you may have tuned the motors without a load on them, if so your speed and accleration may be too high.
What is in the test program and did the motors loose steps when running?
Steppers at some slow speeds can sound a bit rough, but it is a narrow range, try going faster or slower.

Rick G

More
06 Dec 2011 16:26 #15429 by submicro

You might want to check your SCALE to start, when you command a 1" move does the axis move 1"? If not adjust the SCALE first.

I'm still a newbie with EMC2 so where do I adjust the scale?
Try moving your axis at different speeds to see if it a speed issue. Try adjusting your accleration.

While using stepconf the higher the speed and accell the better it sounds, but it doesn't move that fast once I try a test program.

If you move one axis at a time is it O.K.?
Does a combined move cause problems?

While jogging one at a time or both at once it seems fine only while program is running does it sound horrible.

What is in the test program and did the motors loose steps when running?

The "EMC2 4AXIS" that opens at start up. How do I tell if I lost steps?

More
07 Dec 2011 08:39 - 07 Dec 2011 12:15 #15436 by Rick G
Let's start with one thing at a time, your SCALE and steps.
Start EMC and home your axis.
The following is in inch, use numbers that make sense for your machine in inch or metric if that is what you use.

Pick a speed that works on your machine say..

F10

G01 X-1
X0
Now mark the position.
X1
Now measure the distance the machine moved.
Is it correct?

How did the machine sound?
Try several times.
Try the above at several speeds by starting with say F1, then F10 and F20.

Now
X-1
X0
If the first marks still lines up you have not loss steps.

Now do the same but with full speed...

G00 X-1
X0
Now mark the position.
X1
Now measure the distance the machine moved.
Is it correct?

Again try several times.

Now
X-1
X0
If the first mark still lines up you have not loss steps.

Rick G
Last edit: 07 Dec 2011 12:15 by Rick G.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds