EMC2 on Puppy

More
16 Dec 2011 17:02 #15731 by boldford
EMC2 on Puppy was created by boldford
Has anyone here tried EMC2 on a version of Puppy Linux? Being Debian based it just might work OK.

Any opinions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2011 17:39 #15733 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:EMC2 on Puppy
Hi

See this thread also
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...iew&catid=9&id=14345

I have compiled RTAI kernels, realtime components and EMC on Lupu 5.1, Puppy Linux Wary 5.11, Debian Lenny and Debian Squeeze.

The Debian Lenny system is probably the best, because Lenny is rock solid, but the Lupu build worked fine and I now have it installed on my Celeron laptop.

What I was unable to do satisfactorily was create a very light Live CD to run on ancient hardware.

I hit conflicts somewhere with the cramfs / aufs / unionfs setup for kernel build required for Puppy and the rtai kernel config.
Whilst the kernel would work on a static hard drive installation it never seemed to work as a live CD kernel, unzipping the file system into a ramdisk.
Afraid I gave up, since I didn't actually need it for myself, my old hardware would install and run Lenny perfectly, so that is what I used.

regards

More
16 Dec 2011 18:04 #15736 by boldford
Replied by boldford on topic Re:EMC2 on Puppy
Many many thanks for the link to that thread. As a newbie I'm still finding my way around this site.

Methinks you may have pointed me in the right direction to solve the problem I encountered trying the 10.04 live CD on an old Dell GX240.
Not entirely unexpectedly, the ATI graphics card isn't overly happy with Ubuntu as would only deliver 800 x 600 screen resolution. I've tried Puppy 5.3 and that seems OK with that graphics card so that or Lenny may be a way forward to use this PC a dedicated workshop processor.

More
17 Dec 2011 08:56 #15764 by boldford
Why spend time to reinvent the wheel when, seemingly, somebody has done it already. cuteminds.com/index.php/en/puppy
Seems OK from the live CD.

More
17 Dec 2011 09:43 #15766 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Re:EMC2 on Puppy
boldford wrote:

Why spend time to reinvent the wheel when, seemingly, somebody has done it already. cuteminds.com/index.php/en/puppy
Seems OK from the live CD.

yes but it is a very old version , and by no means up to date as EMC is now

More
17 Dec 2011 21:20 #15780 by boldford
Many thanks for the warning.

I hadn't gone far enough to check how old it was, however it points the way forward. My next question is how to go about compiling EMC2 for Puppy 5.3, which I think is the most recent?

More
18 Dec 2011 10:15 - 18 Dec 2011 10:17 #15800 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:EMC2 on Puppy
Hi

This guide for Ubuntu is a good place to start

code.google.com/p/neo-technical/wiki/emc2ubuntu

There were differences with library versions in python and Tk/Tcl I seem to recall, but that can be adjusted.

Puppy is not the easiest system to get all the build-essentials etc that you need because it does not use apt, or at least not directly and you have to go via the Puppy Install tool which is more time consuming.

The main thing is to find a vanilla kernel that has a working patch for it in the magma files.

The one used in the link above does not work, probably because the kernel branch version has been consolidated and the patch no longer matches.

This thread has details of the kernel and patch I used when doing latency tests with multi-core processors.

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...ew&catid=18&id=13670

I have since used the 2.6.26 kernel with Lenny with good results.

You may have to experiment with the various patches to find one that works for a given kernel version.
Don't try to go for too new a kernel, the patches run out anyway at 2.6.37

Good Luck, even if it takes a while you will learn a lot on the way!
Last edit: 18 Dec 2011 10:17 by ArcEye.

More
20 Dec 2011 21:44 #15907 by boldford
I'm sure our Linux gurus could get this going but it's beating me. Now to find some economical hardware that will support the Live CD at a sensible resolution.

More
20 Dec 2011 22:06 #15908 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:EMC2 on Puppy
A quite popular one atm is the Intel D525BOX motherboard for about $70 on this side of the pond. Or if you can still find one a D510MO is good too.

John

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds