Back to the Dell but still have problems.

More
07 Jan 2012 12:11 #16403 by boldford
Whilst I'm waiting for a parallel card to arrive for my little BRO as a self-teaching exercise I thought I'd install EMC on a Dell machine I have knocking around.
To ensure things went smoothly I completely wiped the hard drive using Seagate Diskwizard.
I then installed EMC2 + 10.04 from my live CD. Avoiding doing any updates, all seems OK and I'm able to access the web and run a latency test just fine.
When I try to run any of the sim configurations the mouse pointer changes to a black spot which then prevents any further operations. I can then only get out of this situation by power cycling the machine.

Have I missed a trick?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2012 12:43 #16404 by BigJohnT
If it is an older machine you might try the 8.04 LiveCD.

Also you might have an opengl problem with that machine. Can you run sims other than axis and touchy like tkemc? There is a software opengl but I can't seem to find the link atm.

John

More
07 Jan 2012 12:45 #16405 by BigJohnT

More
07 Jan 2012 16:50 #16414 by boldford
I checked for a /etc/X11/xorg.conf and there isn't one. Then tried creating xorg.conf as suggested and received the following:-

sudo Xorg -configure
[sudo] password for brian:

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at wiki.x.org
for help.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

I forgot to mention a straight Ubuntu 10.04 installs fine in this machine too.

From where can I download an 8.04 ISO to create a live CD?

More
07 Jan 2012 17:04 #16415 by BigJohnT
Right here on the download page.

linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/download/21?task=view

you have to scroll down for 8.04

John

More
07 Jan 2012 17:45 #16416 by boldford
BigJohnT wrote:

If it is an older machine you might try the 8.04 LiveCD.

Also you might have an opengl problem with that machine. Can you run sims other than axis and touchy like tkemc? There is a software opengl but I can't seem to find the link atm.

John

I think you may be correct there as the touchy and tkemc sims seem to be OK. I think it's only axis and its variants that are acting up. If you can point me in the direction of that opengl link I'll be grateful

Meanwhile I'm also attacking this on the other front with a circa 30 minute download of 8.04.

More
07 Jan 2012 18:08 #16417 by ArcEye
Hi once more,

Ref switching to the software open_gl see this previous post for easiest way to do it.
A black circle or square when trying to start a gl dependent program is a classic error.

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...tid=9&id=15939#15974

The error regards xorg -configure is the same from your previous post, you cannot run the command with an active xserver running.
It has to be done from a non-graphic terminal, or else manually create the file and re-boot to run and test it
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...9&id=15936#15958

Keep 10.04 and try switching to software gl before doing anything about vesa, or switching to 8.04, or you will end up chasing your tail!

regards

More
07 Jan 2012 18:43 - 07 Jan 2012 21:18 #16418 by boldford
I'm glad I held off on the 8.04 at your suggestion..

Once I understood the difference between 1 (one) and l (el) in sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swx11 all became well.

Many thanks.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2012 21:18 by boldford.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds