Dual-Boot with Mach

More
27 Jan 2012 17:17 #17199 by JohnHaine
Hi, I have a Super 7 that I have converted to CNC driven by Mach 3 (sorry!) and have recently added a Denford Novamill that I have converted to run off Mach 3 with new drives.

On the Myford I haven't had great success threading and I hear from recent postings over here in the UK that a Mach 3 problem is that as it only has one spindle index pulse per rev you can get problems with uneven pitch as the spindle slows down due to tool drag.

With EMC though I see that it can accomodate two spindle sensors, one giving a pulse per rev for indexing, the other to sense speed with many more pulses per rev so should give better results.

So I'd like to give EMC a trial but using the same computer that runs Mach3. To start with I want to continue to use Mach for milling though, so will need to dual-boot Linux with Windows XP on the same machine (a Dell Optiplex).

So just to check, should it be trouble free to install Ubuntu+EMC alongside Windows+Mach or are there any known problems that I should be aware of please? (Obviously I won't want to run them both at the same time! I have enough trouble concentrating on just one machine....)

And another question, the obvious way to get more pulses per rev for the speed sensor is to use the 65-tooth bull wheel on the S7 spindle with a Hall Effect sensor - will EMC handle 65 pulses per rev please?

John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2012 17:28 #17200 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Dual-Boot with Mach
Hi

Yes, you can dual boot, the Live CD will install on a separate partition and allow both windoze and linux to boot.

Mach does not cut threads worth s**t!
That is why there is a huge thread on the Mach forum where Art trys to convince everyone that it does!
I used it for a while and that was one of the main reasons I went back to linux.

I use a hall effect for index pulse (Z channel) and an optical switch and 120 hole disc for pulse (A channel) and find threading very smooth.

You may find a higher number than 65 is better, but certainly it will work OK.

Welcome to the real CNC world!

More
27 Jan 2012 20:04 #17203 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Dual-Boot with Mach
My CHNC cuts perfect threads and has 4096 counts per rev on the spindle encoder and it goes 6000 RPM... mind you I don't thread or rigid tap at 6k but I once cut some threads at 1500 RPM by accident but they came out fine... I was a wreck watching it go so fast but the threads came out ok...

2nd the welcome to the real CNC world.

John

More
27 Jan 2012 23:46 #17207 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Dual-Boot with Mach
JohnHaine wrote:

will EMC handle 65 pulses per rev please?

Probably. Assuming that you are using the parallel port then you can almost certainly catch an edge every 50uS, so that's 130 edges per rev x 50uS = 154 rps = 9000rpm.

Unless you are threading very small, very fine, threads at 10k rpm I don't imagine there will be a problem.

You could fit two sensors to get a quadrature signal, then you can do rigid tapping too:

More
28 Jan 2012 13:25 #17228 by JohnHaine
Replied by JohnHaine on topic Re:Dual-Boot with Mach
Thanks for all the replies, most encouraging! So with rigid tapping, presumably as you reverse the spindle EMC tracks its deceleration/reverse acceleration and adjusts the tool position accordingly? That's cool!

I've successfully got Ubuntu running dual-boot on this laptop so should be OK on the workshop computer, will give it a try.

Thanks again.

John.

More
28 Jan 2012 13:32 - 28 Jan 2012 13:32 #17229 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Dual-Boot with Mach
Yes, rigid tapping is cool. More info here .

John
Last edit: 28 Jan 2012 13:32 by BigJohnT.

More
29 Jan 2012 22:01 #17269 by boldford
Replied by boldford on topic Re:Dual-Boot with Mach
Please take note on the general warnings elsewhere about the use of laptops for RT apps.

More
30 Jan 2012 10:23 #17278 by JohnHaine
Quote:

"I've successfully got Ubuntu running dual-boot on this laptop so should be OK on the workshop computer, will give it a try."

Laptop is not the workshop computer....

But thanks for the thought!

More
09 Mar 2012 11:07 #18473 by JohnHaine
Just another related question please: when making encoders for the A and Z channels, should the A and Z edges be aligned, or not aligned, or doesn't it matter?

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds