Dependency not satisfiable: emc2 (=1:2.4.7)

More
28 Feb 2012 03:42 #18164 by KenC
I tried to update to V2.4.7 from 2.4.6
As I do not have internet connection on the pc, I downloaded EMC2-dev_2.4.7_i386.deb on a Win7 machine & tranfer it to my Ubuntu machine via a USB pendrive.
when I double-clicked EMC2-dev_2.4.7_i386.deb The Package Installer says [Stautus : Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: emc2 (=1:2.4.7)]
I have to admit I am an idiot when it comes to Ubuntu & all other OS for the matter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2012 09:10 #18167 by Rick G
You might want to look here.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Installing_EMC2

I think section 2.4 or 2.5 may help.

Rick G

More
28 Feb 2012 09:37 #18168 by cncbasher
what it needs is to download some more files , but because you do not have it connected to the internet it cant
you would be better to move the pc and have internet connectivity to enable updating

More
28 Feb 2012 11:24 #18171 by KenC
As I said, I'm an idiot with software...
I tried to install my broadband USB modem but ran into all sort of problem... that is another story

I open up a terminal window, & typed
$ cd debian <return>
& I get
bash: cd: debian: No such file or directory

More
28 Feb 2012 11:55 #18173 by ArcEye
Hi

The error you are getting is because you have tried to install the development package for emc2-2.4.7 without having emc2-2.4.7 itself installed ( or at least apt doesn't think you have).

Dependencies are pre-requisite packages which must be installed for the new package to work.

I open up a terminal window, & typed
$ cd debian <return>
& I get
bash: cd: debian: No such file or directory

What did you expect to happen?
Did you have a sub-directory in your working directory (the one you issued the command from) called debian?

regards

More
28 Feb 2012 12:25 - 28 Feb 2012 12:27 #18176 by KenC
ArcEye, thanks for your response...

Honestly, I have no idea...:blush:

Do you mind walking me throught this step by step :blush: :blush:
Last edit: 28 Feb 2012 12:27 by KenC.

More
28 Feb 2012 13:57 - 28 Feb 2012 13:59 #18180 by ArcEye
Hi Ken,

These threads often turn out as tutorials in Linux rather than anything specific to LinuxCNC, you are not alone!

The .deb file is a package which not only contains the files to be inserted into the operating system, but also has scripts which prepare the operation, copy the files, do a post installation update etc.
Amongst the things they contain are a list of other packages upon which the package depends.

In this case emc2-dev-2.4.7 not unreasonably requires that emc2-2.4.7 should be installed, as it is not much use without it.

Because this is only a minor version upgrade from the original 2.4.3 installed from the Live CD, we should be able to assume that all the basic dependencies are already installed for LinuxCNC itself.

So you should be able to download emc2.deb (the main 1:2.4.7 version) in the same way that you did for the dev package and move it to and install it on your linux machine.

Then try installing the emc2-dev-2.4.7 package again. If there are more unmet dependencies it will list them again and you need to install those first.
I am not sure if it will require the package 'build-essentials', if it does that could cause problems trying to install in this fashion, but we'll worry about that when it happens.

regards

PS Before doing any of this, copy your /home/./emc2 directory and contents to somewhere else, to ensure you don't lose anything
You should not but ............
Last edit: 28 Feb 2012 13:59 by ArcEye.

More
28 Feb 2012 15:35 #18182 by KenC
Arceye,
Thanks for indulging my ignorant.

I downloaded the emc2.4.7_i386.deb
transfered to my EMC machine & double clicked.

From the Package Installer window I get
Error: Break existing package 'emc2 conflict: emc2()

Please.... :blush:

More
28 Feb 2012 17:23 #18183 by ArcEye
Hi

This is where remote advice can get difficult.
I don't know what application you are in when you right click or which package installer window you mean.

The new emc2 does conflict with the previous one, but it also replaces it.

What I would do, is in a terminal window, is cd to the directory containing the package
$ sudo dpkg --install --force-conflicts emc2.4.7_i386.deb

This should install it, ignoring the conflicts warning, and overwriting previous files.

You should then be able to install the development files package as before.

Health Warning:
If this does not work properly for whatever reason, you could break your existing LinuxCNC setup.

It is not something I personally would worry about because I could soon fix it, but obviously it might take you longer.
You might have to re-install if LinuxCNC was screwed up.

The alternative which might be safer for you is to do what cncbasher suggested and unplug the computer and carry it to wherever you do have an internet connection, and let Synaptic Package manager deal with it for you

The choice is yours!

regards

More
29 Feb 2012 10:43 #18193 by KenC
ArcEye,
Thanks again.
Your option sounds like a lot can go wrong...
Will consider deeply over cncbasher's suggestion OR a 3rd option... Just stay with 2.4.3 until LiveCD for 2.5 is ready...
I will sleep on this for a few days...

Thanks for the head up guys!

You are the best!

Cheers

Ken

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds