Can't boot Ubuntu 10.04 after EMC2 install

More
06 May 2012 16:25 #19880 by billooms
Thanks for your prompt reply. I should have some time this afternoon to go through it.

I just put a second hard disk in my machine, and I'm installing a fresh copy of 10.04 on that hard disk as my "experimental" setup.

After installing the 10.04 (and doing all the updates), should I go through your scripts before attempting to install LinucCNC? I think that's what you intended, but please clarify.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2012 16:29 #19881 by billooms
Never mind -- I saw the clarification in the README: base 10.04 install

More
06 May 2012 22:06 - 06 May 2012 22:29 #19887 by billooms
The kernel choices I have after a fresh 10.04 install are 2.6.32-41-generic and 2.6.32-38-generic. There is no 2.6.32-41-generic-pae. So after I get root access, running './prepare' doesn't work:

bill@BillShopLinux:/usr/src$ su root
Password:
root@BillShopLinux:/usr/src# ./prepare
Kernel is 2.6.32-41-generic

************************ This script is intended to be run from Ubuntu 10.04 x86 i386 install ********************************
************************ You need to select kernel 2.6.32-41-generic-pae at boot time ********************************

root@BillShopLinux:/usr/src#

At first I thought it was because I had an older 10.04 CD. I downloaded a fresh copy of ubuntu-10.04.4-desktop-i386.iso from a mirror site, burned a new CD, and re-installed with the new CD. Then I did all available updates. Still no -pae kernel. By the way, I have 4G RAM.

How do I get the -pae kernel?
Last edit: 06 May 2012 22:29 by billooms.

More
06 May 2012 23:03 - 06 May 2012 23:20 #19888 by billooms
Got past that problem -- installed PAE per instructions at help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE

The first time I ran ./make-rtai I responded with a lower case "a" and I think it went into manual mode. At the "Press any key to continue, this may take some time" message I pressed the space bar. Nothing happened at all -- no network activity, no logging messages.

I ran ./make-rtai again (this time making sure I used an upper case "A") and got some error messages right away:

root@BillShopLinux:/usr/src# ./make-rtai
Kernel is 2.6.32-41-generic-pae

*********************************************************************************************
* Choose Automatic or Manual Installation & Build *
* 2.6.37.6-RTAI kernel *
* A) [Semi]-Automatic *
* M) Manual *
* Internet connection required, may take some time to complete downloads *
*********************************************************************************************
A

Updating apt database and filesystem

Fetch development packages.

Fetching kernel source.

Fetch magma CVS.
./make-rtai: line 79: cd: linux: No such file or directory

Patching linux kernel for rtai
./make-rtai: line 82: ../magma/base/arch/x86/patches/hal-linux-2.6.37.6-x86-2.9-02.patch: No such file or directory

Fetch rtai .config file.
cp: cannot stat `../rtai-kernel.config': No such file or directory

* .config file requires finalisation with menuconfig *
* To do so, just allow menuconfig to start up *
* Then move the text cursor around a bit *
* Do not change any settings, they are already optimised *
* Finally press <Exit> until out of menuconfig and say <Yes> to save config *
* Press any key to launch menuconfig *

Did I mess something up? The error on line 79 is because there is no directory 'linux' in /usr/src. That seems to be because line 67 is commented out:
#mv linux-2.6.37.6 linux

Most of the other commands in the script are commented out as well (I added the line numbers for clarity):

62: cd /usr/src
63: #wget ftp://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.37.6.tar.bz2
64:
65: #tar xjf linux-2.6.37.6.tar.bz2
66:
67: #mv linux-2.6.37.6 linux

Suggestions?
Last edit: 06 May 2012 23:20 by billooms.

More
07 May 2012 00:28 #19890 by billooms
Making progress....

I read through your script and figured you commented out the downloads as you were de-bugging everything. I manually entered the commands to get to the point where I had both the 'linux' and 'magma' directories in /usr/src. Then I ran ./make-rtai again.

Compiling now.

More
07 May 2012 09:27 #19901 by ArcEye
Hi

You did very well to get through my best efforts to frustrate you.

You are dead right, the comments were to stop me downloading the same source file every time I re-ran the script.
You can tell that I don't work for NASA! (.........." second stage rocket separation failed ..... who left the release commands commented out !?"....)

The kernel test was to stop people downloading it and trying to build on a normal Linuxcnc installation, because it would overwrite some of the files from the installed package.
pae wasn't necessary, I shouldn't have had such a proscriptive test.

I have sent you an email to your address on your web-site. You can contact me direct via that if you have further queries, save boring everyone else

(I have removed the link to the zip for now until I repair the files and get your results)

regards

More
09 May 2012 16:21 - 09 May 2012 16:24 #19944 by ArcEye
Just a footnote so the thread reaches a conclusion.

The problem with this Sandy Bridge chip based machine appears to be the RTAI patch
There is something in there that it does not like and crashes without even starting the boot process (no output into dmesg at all)

Bill ran an un-patched build of the same kernel source and it ran without problem.

His processor is the Pentium G622 2.6GHz, but this problem was reported on the Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz also.

Hopefully Bill will have time to run more tests, progressively removing sections of the patch until the kernel boots, to isolate the offending section.

In the mean while the advice has to be, avoid machines based on this chip for running real time kernels, good likelihood they won't as things stand.

The Intel Sandy Bridge range is far more extensive than I had imagined, pretty much everything released since Jan 2011.

Full list here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

regards
Last edit: 09 May 2012 16:24 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds