tri boot install questions

More
25 May 2012 12:20 #20386 by sully0400
I have a win computer wit xp pro on 1 partition with ubuntu 12.xx on the second partition. I am using the ubuntu for the boot loader and if possible I want to put linuxCNC 2,5 also on the Linux partition.

any idea's on the procedure

thanks, tramalot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2012 13:48 - 25 May 2012 13:53 #20389 by ArcEye
Hi

You can't put LinuxCNC on your existing partition as it will not run under Ubuntu 12.xx.

The easiest thing to do would be to install LinuxCNC from the LiveCD and when you get to the partition editing stage, select manual option.
Then select your existing linux partition and you will be able to resize it, effectively dividing it.

Once done select the free space that is now left, put a ext2 filesystem on it, format it and select use as '/' (root filesystem)
and select that partition to install Ubuntu 10.04 / LinuxCNC onto and use the same swap partition that was created when you installed Ubuntu 12.xx.

The installation will install GRUB to the MBR and should pick up the existing OS's in the same way your earlier Ubuntu install did.

You only need about 2 GB for the basic system and 4GB will give room for all the extra files you are ever likely to need. ( You can of course make it larger than this)

regards
Last edit: 25 May 2012 13:53 by ArcEye.

More
26 May 2012 14:01 #20421 by sully0400
I know just enough that your instructions make sense :)

I will give it a try and report back....

Thanks a billion

More
29 May 2012 18:50 #20489 by sully0400
I ended up with 10.04 and saving windows and then used the 12 disk to reinstall that to the free space (It showed in gpart as free but all the files were there). I did not need any of the 12 install so all is as I wanted.

Thanks for the help, Losing windows xp now is a killer as it takes many hours to get all the sp's and updates, virus etc...

My ToughBook now runs EMC deskCNC and posibly Mach , solid stae drive and 4gg's ram

w/docking station, old copcar junk yard find....

thanks again

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds