10.04 LiveCD README

More
13 Jun 2012 20:50 - 10 Aug 2012 15:10 #20885 by BigJohnT
10.04 LiveCD README was created by BigJohnT
The 10.04 LiveCD with LinuxCNC 2.5 had a small issue that might have affected a few people when installing and this has been corrected. If your installing LinuxCNC make sure your iso file is ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc3-i386.iso (note the 3 after linuxcnc is the latest one).

If you installed from the LiveCD using ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc2-i386.iso in order to get updates you will have to open the Synaptic Package Manager and go to Settings > Repositories > Other Software tab and change the edit the EMC entry's to reflect the re-branding change as shown below.

John
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2012 15:10 by BigJohnT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: absolut15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2012 20:53 #24541 by fedemecanica
Replied by fedemecanica on topic Re:10.04 LiveCD README
i did that on the repositories (i have already installed ubuntu with the live CD) EMC2 2.4 works fine.
but the actualization does not appear

:( :( :( :(

More
22 Sep 2012 11:42 #24550 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:10.04 LiveCD README
To upgrade from 2.4 to 2.5 follow the steps on this page .

John

More
06 Nov 2013 01:33 #40558 by lewac
Replied by lewac on topic 10.04 LiveCD README
You know this project needs a recompile! ubuntu 10.04 is already rather dated (with a coupla years to EOL) but 12.04 LTS doesn't work (unity based). however what about kubuntu? I run 12.04 LTS (the 64 bit version but it would be better to compile using 32 bit).

it doesn't matter to me personally as I have a BIG system here with all kinds of legacy OS's installed (and so one more, so what?). but what about that newbie that may be interested in a free hobbiest version? and also one that runs under an extremely robust environment (I would NEVER run a CNC machine of ANY kind under windows). Oh. those "dummy" books? They need NOT apply here as one needs to think a bit outside the box to seriously become involved with something like this (and especially with a 4 axis CNC PnP).

last post over a year ago. anybody still working here?

anyhow my thoughts.

More
06 Nov 2013 07:46 #40570 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 10.04 LiveCD README

You know this project needs a recompile! ubuntu 10.04 is already rather dated

Yes. For a long time there was no version of RTAI that ran on the newer kernels. This remained true for so long that the decision was made to not require RTAI any more, and LinuxCNC can now run on Xenomai or RT-preempt too. Part of this work also introduced the ability to compile for ARM (Beagle Bone and Raspberry Pi). The hope is that the new system will be portable enough to be distributed without a LiveCD, as juat another package (sudo apt-get install LinuxCNC)

last post over a year ago. anybody still working here?

Yes. People have been working _very_ hard behind the scenes. But it has been so much work that the system is not ready for a LiveCD yet.

If you want to run on Lucid it is possible. Many people are doing so.
buildbot.linuxcnc.org

More
07 Nov 2013 07:11 #40614 by lewac
the current 10.04 distro works fine for me. when support ends I'll simply turn off network access on this boot as linuxCNC is the only app (other than Ocular & libreOffice) being used under same anyway. the parport card development continues via a kubuntu 12.04 boot as I need strong local control of the PnP machine (which is also under development).

what I'm attempting here is to develop a small DIY unit (most of the PnP machines are HUGE) with a footprint around 400 X 700mm that does NOT require a camera... basically a DR (dead reckoning) that will be commanded to home (via g-code) after a half dozen or (so) PnP's (it remains to be seen whether I'll actually have to do that).

More
07 Nov 2013 15:53 #40623 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic 10.04 LiveCD README

the current 10.04 distro works fine for me. when support ends I'll simply turn off network access on this boot as linuxCNC is the only app (other than Ocular & libreOffice) being used under same anyway. the parport card development continues via a kubuntu 12.04 boot as I need strong local control of the PnP machine (which is also under development).

what I'm attempting here is to develop a small DIY unit (most of the PnP machines are HUGE) with a footprint around 400 X 700mm that does NOT require a camera... basically a DR (dead reckoning) that will be commanded to home (via g-code) after a half dozen or (so) PnP's (it remains to be seen whether I'll actually have to do that).

have you seen OpenPnP ?

More
08 Nov 2013 12:03 #40656 by lewac
first off I'm having difficulty with my PW on this site... keep having to get a new one. anyhow took a look at openPnP. its using freebee sketchup to display stuff but its mostly just components. the main drawing has X being moved from the side rather than the middle. They're using ball screws for XY which is what I'll be doing as well though. I'll be using IR sensors for home, limits because they're very fast. when homing though I'll be moving slowly more or less trial and error here because I can't have overshoot on a DR machine.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds