Ubuntu 12.04 Pure simulator no longer upgrades

More
27 Jul 2012 00:28 #22502 by jblain
I had been able to point Synaptic at

deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ precise master-sim

On my ubuntu machine and was able to install, upgrade and run linux CNC until recently. But now if I try to update, the update manager refuses and tells me that :

Requires installation of untrusted packages

The action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources.

Details shows me that files

linuxcnc-doc-en linuxcnc-sim linuxcnc-sim-dev are the culprits

Any suggestions ?

Regards

JBlain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2012 09:56 #22508 by ArcEye
Hi

This covers the issues behind the error
maketecheasier.com/fix-ubuntu-update-errors/2011/12/16

I would suspect that the GPG key has expired but check the other things too, especially whether all 3rd party software is enabled.

If all else fails you can just download the .deb and install it yourself.

Somewhat begs the question however, why do you want to keep updating it from the unstable master branch?

Wouldn't the stable 2.5 release version be a much better bet?

regards

More
27 Jul 2012 10:56 #22511 by jblain
I have carefully followed the procedures in your link as I agree this seems linked to a GPG key problem. However the problem is still there.

Also tried various fixes with Y-ppa-manager askubuntu.com/questions/127326/how-to-fi...pg-keys-ubuntu-12-04 but it did not solve the issue. Update manager will still not update from the master branch...

Why update from the unstable branch ? Because I want to be on the bleeding edge when simulating on my laptop. So I know what is coming down the line, so I can maybe help.

For instance, I am helping to find a problem with the current buildbot, the unstable branch release and update manager :-) Before the buuildbot problems update manager worked fine. But it is now broken. So the recent buildbot repair seems to be at the root of the problem ?

Regards

JBlain

More
27 Jul 2012 10:58 #22513 by jblain
BTW I can also confirm that the update manager in 10.04 has no problem updating the current unstable release

More
27 Jul 2012 13:48 - 27 Jul 2012 13:50 #22518 by ArcEye
Hi

As far as I can see the GPG key has been unchanged since 14/04/2008 at 8F374FEF
There is only one per domain, so it should be the same key for the standard packages as the buildbot ones.

Go to Update Manager, From Settings > Repositories > Authentication check that the key is present.

Next question is how did you add the repository to aptitude?
Do you have a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc-buildbot.list file as well as an entry in /etc/apt/sources.list ?
Are the entries correct - check spelling and spaces

If you don't have the former see buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ and create it.
The run sudo apt-get update from a terminal.

If that doesn't help, try commenting out the relevant lines in /etc/apt/sources.list and moving /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc-buildbot.list somewhere else

Then run sudo apt-get update from a terminal which should purge all references to linuxcnc.org from its database

Now uncomment sections in /etc/apt/sources.list and return /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc-buildbot.list
Then run sudo apt-get update from a terminal again
In the course of the update it should fetch the GPG

Then try sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-sim.

If that doesn't work, just give up and download what ever flavour you wanted from buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/precise/master-sim/ and install it with dpkg.

I sometimes get so pissed off with aptitude, that I just do this and force an install.

regards
Last edit: 27 Jul 2012 13:50 by ArcEye.

More
27 Jul 2012 14:46 #22524 by jblain
I followed your instructions (see below) and update manager agreed to update this time.

I have as of right now Axis 2.6.0-pre0-3148-g825b7d3

Did I get the latest version ?

Regards and many thanks

JBlain

If that doesn't help, try commenting out the relevant lines in /etc/apt/sources.list and moving /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc-buildbot.list somewhere else

Then run sudo apt-get update from a terminal which should purge all references to linuxcnc.org from its database

Now uncomment sections in /etc/apt/sources.list and return /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc-buildbot.list
Then run sudo apt-get update from a terminal again
In the course of the update it should fetch the GPG

Then try sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-sim.

More
27 Jul 2012 15:00 #22527 by ArcEye
Hi

Glad you are back working

Yes that is the latest .deb - file date 22nd July 2012

regards

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds