System: Pentium 3, 256M RAM, battery is dead
It seems that this should start anyway. Here's the log:

File Attachment:

File Name: jbottoms.txt
File Size:28 KB

Thanks for any help provided.
-JBottoms
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2012 21:58 by BigJohnT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2012 21:58 #23946 by BigJohnT
How did you install LinuxCNC?

John

More
05 Sep 2012 22:06 #23947 by JBottoms
LinuxCNC was installed from LiveCD. When the dialog window came up I selected "Install with Windows". I wound up with 2 OS's. That gave me this error.

Then I installed it with overwriting Win and got the same error.

More
05 Sep 2012 22:36 #23948 by BigJohnT
Did you tell it to use the entire hard drive the second time? You might have a non-realtime version installed as well. Also did you burn the LiveCD from version 3 of the iso file?

John

More
05 Sep 2012 23:18 #23951 by JBottoms
I think I did use the latest version, but I'll go through it again.

-John

More
06 Sep 2012 14:19 - 06 Sep 2012 14:23 #23979 by ArcEye
Hi

The load aborted because of a segfault but I think this may be the crucial lines from dmesg

insmod: error inserting '/usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/rtai_hal.ko': -1 Operation not permitted1556

[ 187.716888] RTAI[hal]: ERROR, LOCAL APIC CONFIGURED BUT NOT AVAILABLE/ENABLED

see wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Troubl..._t_run_missing_lapic

You might have a non-realtime version installed as well.

dmesg shows the rtai kernel was running so that is not a problem

However you are trying to run 10.04 on a P3 with 256MB RAM. Once you manage to get started, you will probably find it runs like s***t

I would recommend you install 8.04 (which will probably cure your LAPIC problem because I don't think it affects 8.04) and preferably put another 256MB stick in.
Or at least ensure there is a good swap disk and be prepared to be patient!

regards
Last edit: 06 Sep 2012 14:23 by ArcEye.

More
07 Sep 2012 10:37 #24008 by BigJohnT
I knew someone would come along that understood all that mess.

John

More
08 Sep 2012 04:01 #24055 by JBottoms
Thanks for the help people,

My base problem was that the software was EMC. I loaded it on a laptop and I expected to see "LinuxCNC".

So, I made sure I dll'd V3 and tried it on a laptop and it worked correctly.
Then I went back to the P3(s) and tried it again. It installed correctly on them but it generated the same error on executing "Axis". Those are both Intel P3 boards so it looks like LinuxCNC is not backwards compatible.

I guess those motherboards will be relegated to the SMT practice pile.
The driver board I have is an eBay stepper board that is a fairly well designed Chinese board It has protection on the DB25. So I'll work with that on a laptop until I find a P4 with the APIC enabled. There must be one around here somewhere, let me see....oh, I'll do that later.

Thanks for the help.

-JB

More
08 Sep 2012 09:16 #24060 by ArcEye
Hi

Those are both Intel P3 boards so it looks like LinuxCNC is not backwards compatible.

You appear to be under a very common misapprehension about the link between Ubuntu version and Linuxcnc / EMC2 version.

Ubuntu 10.04 is the operating system, equate that to Windows 7 say. Ubuntu 8.04 equates to say Windows XP.

Linuxcnc (previously called EMC) is software that will run on either 10.04 or 8.04 with a special kernel which exists for both. There is no backward compatibility issue.

So I'll work with that on a laptop until I find a P4 with the APIC enabled.

The problem that you posted about can be solved by following the link I gave you re LAPIC.
You might have to do exactly the same with another machine.

The larger problem is that you are trying to run the equivalent of Windows 7 on a machine that will only just run XP properly.

If you install the Live CD based upon Ubuntu 8.04, yes it ships with EMC2 2.3 .
But all you then have to do is upgrade this to the latest Linuxcnc 2.5.1 following the steps on the site.

You will be installing an operating system far more suited to the low power of your machine and can still run the same CNC software.

Whether the latency of your P3 is any good....well thats another matter B)

regards

More
08 Sep 2012 12:34 #24065 by JBottoms
ArcEye,

Thanks, I'll do that. I would like to put those P3's to work.

I had understood that EMC was disparaged, but I didn't understand why. Maybe there should be a web page describing the differences between the operating system environments and the differences between EMC and LinuxCNC and related issues.

I'm not concerned about some of the time response components. I understand the user interface will be slower, that I can live with. And I would expect the operation to be slow also. It would see that would have been an issue with earlier versions if it introduced errors, so that should have been addressed.

Thanks, I have a better understanding but I still have more to learn about this.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds