Replace linuxcnc from live CD wit linuxcnc-dev

More
04 Jan 2013 18:48 #28365 by frequency
Hello,
i am still :dry: confused in things concerning linux, so this is maybe more a linux question?

I had installed linuxcnc from live-cd (ubuntu + linuxcnc).
After that i got the source (linuxcnc-dev) with git and made some changes to the source.
Now the question: Can i replace the original linuxcnc from live cd on my system with the linuxcnc where i made some changes?

cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2013 20:45 #28370 by BigJohnT
Sure, you just have to locate the installed directory and copy the file over. Tell me what you changed and I might be able to point you to the correct directory.

John

More
04 Jan 2013 20:53 #28373 by andypugh

Now the question: Can i replace the original linuxcnc from live cd on my system with the linuxcnc where i made some changes?

Yes.
By default the git version of LinuxCNC compiles as a run-in-place system. To compile it as an installed system you need to use the --prefix flag when configuring.
./configure --prefix=/usr

More
04 Jan 2013 21:12 #28377 by frequency
Thanks for your fast response!

Now I had replaced the usr/bin/linuxcnc script by the linuxcnc script in my linuxcnc-dev directory and it seems to work fine.
Could this result in problems?
@BigJohnT :
I made changes in hal_lib.c,hal_priv.h, rtapi.c and motion.c, but only to copy the resulting components (hal_lib.ko, motmod.ko, rtapi.ko)
seems not to be enough because at start of axis i got the debug information that HAL is locked and loading modules is not possible!?

@andypugh : I will try this

Thanks

More
04 Jan 2013 22:28 #28381 by BigJohnT
Follow Andy's advice, I forgot about the prefix flag.

John

More
30 Jan 2013 15:43 #29296 by r00t4rd3d
Seeing how LTS for 10.04 runs out in April I tried to get everything going on 12.04 :woohoo:

More
30 Jan 2013 21:02 #29309 by ArcEye

Seeing how LTS for 10.04 runs out in April I tried to get everything going on 12.04

Good effort, thats one way to jazz up your desktop.

Unfortunately running an old rtai kernel on a newer bloated Ubuntu version does nothing to solve the underlying problem and may bring a few of its own.

It does not support newer hardware, about the only reason for moving to 12.xx.
I use it on my laptop, because otherwise I have no ethernet or sound.

8.04LTS has not been 'supported' for several years, but still works happily on my workshop machines, running 2.5.1

regards

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds