Initial Config help needed please

More
04 Mar 2013 22:39 #30845 by egropp
Got the new board installed... No Joy..
Same issue. I can run the X and Y .. but no Z..
Same as the other port, i swap the Y and Z.. the Y axis in the program runs the Z motor.. but the Z axis in the program still controls nothing

Is it a normal thing to have to go through this much trouble to get things working??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2013 22:56 #30848 by BigJohnT
No, this is not normal at all... zip up your config files and attach them.

John

More
04 Mar 2013 22:58 #30849 by andypugh

Is it a normal thing to have to go through this much trouble to get things working??

No, it really isn't.

I am getting a bit fuzzy on what combinations work.

Has the Z-word in the G-code or a Z-jog ever moved any motor?

What happens if you configure the Z axis to use the Y axis p-port pins?

More
05 Mar 2013 10:56 #30890 by egropp
Can anyone give me a better reason than "its not a good idea to run from a laptop" to not run this table from my laptop??

Here is what i have so far..
Laptop (compaq nx9005), runs all axis in kcam and mach III.. (tells me the breakout board and driver boards are good... i think)

PC (I have tried 4 now)
I get no movement on the Z Axis at all... ever. Not in KCam, mach III or LinuxCNC
I've never gotten this past the stepconf stage. When i stepconf, i can test the X and Y axis and they both work. the Z axis does nothing. if i swap the motor controllers on the breakout board, (y with z) the z axis software test runs the y motor (as expected), the Y axis software test does not move teh Z axis (this seems to indicate that there is an issue with the Z motor controller.

With this table connected to the laptop, and all axis running as expected, i move the parallel cable to the pc, then nothing from the Z axis. I have verified all of the pins (z is using 6 and 7) on the pcs, i have checked the voltages on the direction and step pins and everthing appears to be the same.

I needed to step away from this as the urge to make an adjustment with something very heavy is becoming overwhelming. I know this is not "supposed" to be this difficult, but for some reason, I just canot make this table run from a PC.

More
05 Mar 2013 11:21 #30893 by Todd Zuercher
The only reason laptops generally are not recommended is because most of them have pretty bad latency results. If your laptop gives you acceptable performance for your application, then use it.

More
05 Mar 2013 15:52 #30899 by cncbasher

Can anyone give me a better reason than "its not a good idea to run from a laptop" to not run this table from my laptop??

Here is what i have so far..
Laptop (compaq nx9005), runs all axis in kcam and mach III.. (tells me the breakout board and driver boards are good... i think)

PC (I have tried 4 now)
I get no movement on the Z Axis at all... ever. Not in KCam, mach III or LinuxCNC
I've never gotten this past the stepconf stage. When i stepconf, i can test the X and Y axis and they both work. the Z axis does nothing. if i swap the motor controllers on the breakout board, (y with z) the z axis software test runs the y motor (as expected), the Y axis software test does not move teh Z axis (this seems to indicate that there is an issue with the Z motor controller.

With this table connected to the laptop, and all axis running as expected, i move the parallel cable to the pc, then nothing from the Z axis. I have verified all of the pins (z is using 6 and 7) on the pcs, i have checked the voltages on the direction and step pins and everthing appears to be the same.

I needed to step away from this as the urge to make an adjustment with something very heavy is becoming overwhelming. I know this is not "supposed" to be this difficult, but for some reason, I just canot make this table run from a PC.

as requested post you hal and ini files as an attachment ..
are you using the same files on both the laptop and the pc , or are they separately configured ?
any messages showing in dmesg terminal output , try running linuxcnc from the command line , any errors could then show up

if the machine works fine on the laptop and not on the pc then it has to be configuration or pc problem, as you have try'd more than one pc then that would reasonably discount the pc as the problem .

More
05 Mar 2013 15:53 - 05 Mar 2013 17:49 #30900 by ArcEye

The reason is largely power management.

Laptops are designed to make maximum use of battery power by various means, some done by software, some in BIOS and some at hardware level.
These are not conducive to good latency as some cannot in the main be prevented and will cause spikes,
eg. when you want to output a train of pulses to move a stepper, the computer decides it needs to generate an interrupt which takes precedence, to adjust fan speed.

You have amply demonstrated that the problem is your BOB (and associated cabling runs) will not work with 3.3v
Not with Linuxcnc, not with Mach or Kam

You either need another one that will, or an intermediate voltage boosting board (uses the 3.3v from the parport to switch opto isolators and output 5v)

PS This is the first one I came across in a search, is a BOB with buffers and opto-couples to counter the exact problems you have
oceancontrols.com.au/KTB-205.html
Last edit: 05 Mar 2013 17:49 by ArcEye.

More
05 Mar 2013 17:39 #30908 by andypugh

Yes, that's a good sign. It seems odd that a laptop P-port would work better than a PC one, though.
One weird reason might be that the laptop may be floating relative to machine 0V, whereas the PC might not be.

There is one "nuclear option" that I hesitate to suggest as I would feel bad if it didn't work, (and it is a pure LinuxCNC option, incompatible with MachIII) but the $80 Mesa 5i25 PCI card has good strong IO drive and might well be plug-and-play (with the correct firmware). There are other advantages, such as much faster step rates. However that is a whole new configuration process to learn (not Stepconf)

I think you should try running LinuxCNC on the Laptop, and see if you can then control the machine. It will tell us finally whether it is a computer or config problem.
You ought to be able to boot from the LiveCD and make a config, I think, without doing a full install to HD.

More
15 Mar 2013 21:11 #31447 by egropp
Ok.. After all the frustration and fighting this setup..
It finally works!!

I bought the C26 Parallel Port Buffer from CNC4PC.com (and after a minor hitch due to not reading the directions... :angry: ) Installed the board the correct way around.

Now everythign works form all PC's as advertised.

Not is time to figure out how to get this table to home in the correct direction. (but i think this is aquestion for a different thread if i cannot fidn the answer here).

We are finally well on the way to making chips!!

More
15 Mar 2013 21:28 #31450 by BigJohnT
Just change the sign of the seek and latch speed.

John

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds