LinuxCNC on 12.04...got error, what does it mean?

More
08 Jan 2014 00:17 #42441 by ddmotim

So try booting and then dmesg | grep parport && dmesg | grep ppdev && dmesg | grep lp
If either parport_pc or ppdev are there then remove them, but leave lp and try linuxcnc again

I tried this, and still no luck. I tried looking deeper into the file system, and I broke something... :whistle:
I also realized something that made me feel a little stupid...I had installed Lubuntu not just Ubuntu, so I'm guessing that may have something to do with it.

So I did a fresh install of Ubuntu and started over. Now I seem to be having a problem loading any realtime kernel. Following the same documents as before, I couldn't get Xenomai to run. While looking for answers to that, I came across the new RTAI kernel and figured I'd give it a shot: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_On_Ubuntu_Precise
With the RTAI build, I can't get the kernel to load on boot. I changed the grub config file to force the rtai kernel to load on boot, and it came up with the blue memory test screen. I tried again, and looked into the lib directory, and it seems like there are files missing from the rtai kernel directory.
I'm doing a side by side of two Ubuntu 12.04 installs so I can try to figure out one or the other (xenomai or RTAI).

I can't seem to find anyone else who has successfully installed the RTAI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2014 00:32 #42443 by ddmotim
Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.5.7-xenomai-2.6.2.1/build
 However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.5.7-xenomai-2.6.2.1/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.5.7-xenomai-2.6.2.1/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.5.7-xenomai-2.6.2.1/source

Looking through the printout, I noticed this. I get the same thing for the RTAI install

More
08 Jan 2014 01:00 #42445 by ArcEye

Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.5.7-xenomai-2.6.2.1/build
 However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.5.7-xenomai-2.6.2.1/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.5.7-xenomai-2.6.2.1/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.5.7-xenomai-2.6.2.1/source

Looking through the printout, I noticed this. I get the same thing for the RTAI install

That is not important, it just means that the modules were created when the kernel sources were available, which those 2 symlinks would have pointed to

I can't seem to find anyone else who has successfully installed the RTAI

I am running 3.5.7-rtai now, but on Debian and I compiled it all myself from sources

birchy has tried those packages I think ( wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_On_Ubuntu_Precise)
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...blems?start=20#42158

He got a kernel panic on one lot and 6 figure latency on the other, so he is now compiling the 3.5.7-rtai from the same source code that I used.

I'll take it that the parport issue is on hold until you get up and running again

regards

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds