LinuxCNC runs from USB but can't install with EFI

More
18 Aug 2013 05:48 #37790 by tedhuntington
I can run LinuxCNC from a USB but when I try to install no partitions are recognized. This is on a computer with a dual boot using grub2.

I have a Sandy Bridge PCI Bridge but my CPU is a Pentium G630 2.7GHz dual core.

I tried the CD but I get a message "no image found" so I am going to try to burn another one in Ubuntu.

Another question is: I'm coming from a Mandriva Linux, and is it possible to just do make menuconfig, make modules_install, make install, etc. to rebuild a kernel or does a .deb need to be created? Either way, when I try to boot to any newly created image (using the Ubuntu way or the old make install way) the boot loader just hangs immediately after starting the image- even just the plain kernel.org image without rtai- there is no debug info or text or anything and I can't boot into a single rescue session.

It seems like Ubuntu has trouble with recognizing the Windows 7 EFI scheme- it thinks the EFI files are on a different partition and doesn't create the grub.cfg correctly- so I have to change the actual grub.cfg on a different partition- but the problem is clearly the system image because I can boot into the Ubuntu 2.6.32-50-generic-pae kernel that the distribution installed.

I have an older machine running Mandriva, and I was wondering if it would be possible to build LinuxCNC on that on top of a patched rtai kernel?

From what I did see and was able to do from the USB boot version (move all my CNC axes) it looks like a great program.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom.ko.cnc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2013 06:04 #37792 by andypugh

IAnother question is: I'm coming from a Mandriva Linux, and is it possible to just do make menuconfig, make modules_install, make install, etc. to rebuild a kernel or does a .deb need to be created?.

We are currently in the middle of a great upheaval in the way things are done. The aim is to support a lot more kernel versions, and more RT systems.

You can just realtime-patch your kernel, though making it all work is something of a hassle (like working out which version of RTAI suits your kernel version, for example).

This page explains a bit:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Installing_LinuxCNC

And if you want to be at the bleeding edge:
static.mah.priv.at/public/UnifiedBuild.html

More
18 Aug 2013 06:19 #37793 by tedhuntington
I think all that I need to get it running is a LinuxCNC .iso for an EFI boot. Perhaps the USB drive that runs it successfully could be adapted to an EFI boot. Then it would probably see all my partitions.

More
18 Aug 2013 06:22 #37794 by tedhuntington
Thanks- that sounds good. I worked with rtai years ago for a robot and it's awesome so it's nice to see that rtai is being used for linuxCNC- I don't have to relearn it.

More
18 Aug 2013 10:54 #37797 by tedhuntington
I just realized that my CPU is a Sandy Bridge CPU (G630)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_processor#Pentium
oy!

More
18 Aug 2013 18:49 #37808 by ArcEye

I can run LinuxCNC from a USB but when I try to install no partitions are recognized. This is on a computer with a dual boot using grub2.

Quite a few people have had similar problems, usually the answer is to ensure that SATA is in AHCI mode in BIOS.

regards

More
19 Aug 2013 00:50 #37815 by tedhuntington
Just to update:

I got linuxcnc-2.6.0~pre to build and an rtai kernel 3.9.1 under linux kernel 2.6.38.8 running and all "./run" latency tests ran.

I had to adjust 2 lines in the linuxcnc script to

icase "2.6.38.8-rtai" in
"") ;;
*)
if [ `uname -r` != "2.6.38.8-rtai" ]; then
if tty -s; then
echo "LinuxCNC requires the real-time kernel 2.6.32-122-rtai to run."

When I run linuxcnc I get an error though:
Loading Real Time OS, RTAPI, and HAL_LIB modules
/usr/src/linuxcnc-dev/bin/linuxcnc_module_helper: Invalid usage with args: insert /usr/realtime-2.6.38.8-rtai/modules/rtai_hal.ko

Usage: /usr/src/linuxcnc-dev/bin/linuxcnc_module_helper insert /path/to/module.ext [param1=value1 ...]

So I'm getting closer to getting it to run.

More
19 Aug 2013 01:36 #37817 by tedhuntington
I tried that and it didn't make any difference. I was able to put the gparted live disk EFI boot folder on the working linuxcnc USB image and it booted into EFI but still couldn't find any partitions. But I'm making progress with making a kernel, rtai, and linuxcnc from the source.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds