News on Ubuntu 12.04LTS soon?

More
25 Aug 2013 14:57 #38052 by KenC
I'm working on rebuilding/refurbish my home built router and plasma table to stay current.
I understand current Ubuntu 10.04LTS will due 3 years in matter of days. Is there any news about new Ubuntu LTS? Should I just hold on for a few more days?
It will be great to keep everything spanking new for another 3 years.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

KenC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2013 15:45 #38054 by ArcEye
Hi

When the new linuxcnc release comes out, it is likely there will be a major change in how Linuxcnc is packaged.

It is unlikely that it will be bundled with a distro, certainly not Ubuntu 12.04 which is fast becoming bloatware.

The user will be able to install any distro they like, so long as there is a realtime kernel (and RTAI where necessary) for it, linuxcnc will run on it.

For instance linuxcnc will even run on the rt-preempt kernel which can be installed via apt for Debian Wheezy.

A lot of testing is still going on and then the all important packaging.

I would sit tight with what you have for now, until the new release is out and you can look at the options that you have for upgrade.
The fact that 10.04 LTS support has ended is completely irrelevant, what you have working will continue to do so ad infinitum.

regards

More
26 Aug 2013 15:08 #38096 by KenC
Replied by KenC on topic News on Ubuntu 12.04LTS soon?
Hi

Thanks! Your info is most valuable.

Any idea how long do I need to sit until the new release?

Regards

More
26 Aug 2013 16:01 #38098 by ArcEye
It is quite a major version change, although work is under way, I can only guess at later this year or early next.

This could be completely wrong B)

More
26 Aug 2013 16:20 #38099 by KenC
I consider myself as a complete idiot on Linux.
With help from the forum & myriad of documentation on net, I started with Emc2.4.8 on Ubuntu 8.04 & upgraded to 2.5 & later 10.04Lts. I still have no idea what happened :S
Shamfuly, I still don't understand what git really is... :(
Capitalizing on this forthcoming refurbishing, I intended to make myself competent with Linux & coding in it. Since you mentioned LinuxCNC will ditch Ubuntu as its de facto distro, another opportunity arises. From my limited understand, Debian is the most stable Distro & running a CNC machine require stability. & really no point digging Ubuntu any further.
Would you encourage running LinuxCNC on Debian now?

regards

More
26 Aug 2013 16:32 #38100 by cncbasher
i would just tread water for now , running on Debian is at present not a situation of running out the box , it requires other trickery
so if your not competant with the linux operating system , i'd just sit tight ..

frustrating as it is , the testing being done and the behind the scenes activity , will be worth waiting for ..
and should make the changes when you do move , far easier and stress free ... well thats the theory ..

More
26 Aug 2013 17:05 - 26 Aug 2013 17:09 #38101 by KenC
Thanks cncbasher.

running on Debian is at present not a situation of running out the box , it requires other trickery

Sounds like another opportunity to learn through the hard way... Is it still worth the while?

I do have the patient. I also won't shy away from hard work, as long as its beneficial...
I really need your advice to gear forward...
Last edit: 26 Aug 2013 17:09 by KenC.

More
10 Oct 2013 01:54 #39710 by bqgray
Fabulous!

Sounds to me like the development team is really headed in the right direction by not linking so tightly with a particular distribution!

Liberating the code, and making run well on a variety of systems does sound like a lot of work though.

Can't wait to see it when you guys are done.

Thanks so much for all the hard work... both past and future.

Bill

More
10 Oct 2013 06:04 #39719 by andypugh

Liberating the code, and making run well on a variety of systems does sound like a lot of work though.

You can try it out, if you want:

static.mah.priv.at/public/html/common/Un...d.html#_installation

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds