latency-test fine but axis complains

More
10 Sep 2013 14:53 #38595 by ArcEye

"apt-get install linuxcnc" would be really nice, however.

Before too long there will be a version of Linuxcnc that will run on rt-preempt, rtai, xenomai and more.

It is in testing currently and works with the debian 7.1 precompiled rt kernel, with previous caveats.
This version is what I am running currently, albeit on a homebrew 3.5.7-rtai kernel

The idea is exactly as you say, install the realtime system of your choice and then fetch linuxcnc to run on it
thus breaking the link between distro and application, opening up the possibilty of Linuxcnc being part of mainstream distros
and just fetched from their servers.

More work to be done yet, but it is getting there.
The difficult bit is not getting it to work, it already does. It is bundling it so that the user can just install with no knowledge
of kernel, realtime and application building.

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2013 21:11 #38619 by BigJohnT
I can't wait for that to happen.

Thanks
JT

More
11 Sep 2013 01:29 #38639 by tatel

It is in testing currently and works with the debian 7.1 precompiled rt kernel, with previous caveats.
This version is what I am running currently, albeit on a homebrew 3.5.7-rtai kernel

The idea is exactly as you say, install the realtime system of your choice and then fetch linuxcnc to run on it

Yes, unified build candidate worked for me with rt-preempt, too.

However, I see that apt-get users will very probably use rt-preempt, not RTAI, since rt-preempt is already in the repositories, and it does not seem that RTAI will be there in the foreseable future.

Well, at the very least, this capability will hopefully make linuxcnc much more mainstream, wich is a GoodThing IMHO. Thanks to all the people that contributed to make it possible. When I see my mill working, I feel my ass becoming sugar...

Ciao,

More
25 May 2015 23:35 #59021 by Fit0
Hi ArcEye, re. the Matrox card, is there anything you need to do, other than fit it in a free pci slot and plug your monitor to it, for latency to go down? If there is anything that needs inputting in terminal, would you please let me know?

I ordered a pci G550 and need to know for when it arrives.

Thanks in advance.

More
26 May 2015 13:45 #59061 by ArcEye
The card I used was an AGP one, just 32MB, not used PCI.

It should be recognised and the standard open source drivers loaded.

You probably need to activate it in BIOS, which will default to the on-board chip.

regards

More
04 Jun 2015 16:56 #59419 by Fit0
Thanks for your reply ArcEye.

By the way, the card arrived, I fitted it, connected the monitor to it, checked the BIOs and found that the Matrox graphics card was automatically enabled and the onboard graphics disabled. All good, apparently.

However, I found that there was quite a bit of lag when opening programmes, the video was pretty jerky and, most importantly, when I ran the latency test, jitter was even higher than with the onboard card, at a steady 27000 or so, whereas the onboard card gave a less steady jitter, but never going above 21000 in the same conditions.

What's going on here?

More
04 Jun 2015 19:56 #59431 by ArcEye

What's going on here?

The card was an AGP one and the computer a Fujitsu Seimens P4, yours are undoubtably is different.
I was also running a home-brew uni processor rtai kernel

Unfortunately I was just reporting what worked for me, on quite an old thread.

Just illustrated that taking the video load off the CPU and RAM, can sometimes be the difference with latency

I know other people have tried it with similar computers and it worked for them too

Obviously not in your case :(

More
04 Jun 2015 20:32 #59433 by Fit0
Apparently so :sick:

Oh well, I guess I'll just live with the on board graphics card and the circa 20k base thread latency, which I understand is acceptable anyway.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds