Unbuntu failing to install

More
04 Sep 2013 09:41 #38456 by SwampDonkey
As it turns out I ended up with a desktop server for $10 (YEAH!). When I booted it up and went monkey-with-a-rock on the thing I did see that it was running 11.04, but maybe through the gigibit Ethernet connection?

-Processor: Intel Pentium 4 530 3 GHz with Hyper Threading
- Memory: 512MB (installed) / 4 GB (max)
-Hard Drive: 80 GB
- Integrated Features: CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo, 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy
-Controller: Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (with Intel 865GV Chipset)

--Side note: WIll this configuration give me the low latency required to get the best out of LinuxCNC?

WIth the myriad of versions out there, which woud give me the best performance with LinuxCNC?

IM sorry about the extreme noob questions but im absorbing as much as I can. I just want to move to away from Mach3 and all its limitations.

Thank you so much for the information.I feel like im a step away from getting this machine up and running.

Link to the computer in question:
IBM ThinkCentre M51 8143 ( 814328U ) - Intel Pentium - IBM Desktop

There was NO way to get around the password. I was locked out of the computer.

I had to replace the hard drive with windows Vista installed. So, I burned 8.04 (from this site) to disk, installed it, when I click the desktop icon I get a CD burner program called "Power to go". No idea why. What is going on here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2013 17:36 #38463 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Unbuntu failing to install
Never seen that before, which desktop icon are you clicking on? IIRC after installing the 8.04 LiveCD you get an ugly empty desktop. If your trying to run LinuxCNC do that from the CNC menu to start.

JT

More
04 Sep 2013 19:19 - 04 Sep 2013 19:25 #38464 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Unbuntu failing to install
This is a duplicate thread of this

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...d-recovery-in-unbutu

Power to Go is a windows CD and DVD burning program, so whatever you have done, you have done it wrong, it is not Ubuntu you are seeing.

You need to burn theLive CD iso to a CD, not copy the iso file into a windoze CD program that then makes another iso of it.

When you can burn the CD and get it to boot (see the answer on the other thread) , you will be able to install

I appreciate you are pulling your hair out, but asking the same question in several places does not get more help, it just tends to make those who initially tried to help give up

regards
Last edit: 04 Sep 2013 19:25 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds