Ubuntu Lucid Lynx correct O.S.?

More
23 Sep 2013 04:55 #39117 by southbayguy
Documentation says Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS is the correct O.S. over which to install Linux CNC. When I go to the Ubuntu web site, I see Lucid Lynx listed as a Server O.S., not a desktop O.S. Is this a concern?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2013 11:23 #39122 by cmorley
Lucid is past it's official support period. lucid server is supported longer.
This is really not a problem, unless you need a newer kernel for your hardware.

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: southbayguy

More
28 Sep 2013 18:29 - 28 Sep 2013 18:31 #39314 by shopjock
Hi I hope first of all that I am posting in an appropriate forum. (I'm not very forum friendly.)

I am new to CNC and currently building my first machine from ground up.

That said I am also a Linux noob. I was wondering if this OS can be installed as dual boot, and can I just down load and copy the appropriate ISO 's to install from disk?

Im hoping to install as dual boot on my windows pc for familiarization and mock up operations.

my intent is to install linux lucid on a different computer (actually its an old dell server) which does not have an OEM or internet support at all in my home work shop.

Thank you for any and all constructive input.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2013 18:31 by shopjock.

More
28 Sep 2013 22:41 #39328 by ArcEye
Hi

So long as there is space to create a seperate partition for linux, you can dual boot the machine.
There is no limit, I currently have 12 bootable partitions with various flavours of linux, testing different kernels and Distros etc

Just be carefully when you get to the partitioning section of the install.
The default is to wipe everything and install over it, choose an option which will create space on a relevant HDD and install to it.

Remember you need the Live CD iso from this site, with the realtime kernel and linuxcnc already installed
Just installing Ubuntu 10.04 from the stock Ubuntu iso will not work

Once you have familiarised yourself with things you will find you don't need windoze.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: shopjock

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds