Network Connectivity - Dog Slow!

More
10 Oct 2013 00:16 #39703 by bqgray
Hello,

I have been working to get a new install of LinuxCNC up and running. I'm using the current release with a bread and butter/default installation.

I've got an Intel Atom D2550 system, and I'm connecting with it over ethernet with DHCP.

When I plug the ethernet cable into my mac, it is able to download from the internet at lightening speed.

When I plug the same cable into my LinuxCNC there is connectivity, but it is remarkably slow. I mean really painfully slow.

I'm not sure that might cause this issue, or even what I ought to look in to.

Suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2013 08:46 #39755 by Todd Zuercher
The possibility of Linux downloading a huge number of updates in the background on new installation, eating up your bandwidth is quite high. Check to see if that might be slowing you down. (just a guess)

More
14 Oct 2013 22:20 - 14 Oct 2013 22:20 #39832 by ArcEye
Hi

I have not had this problem myself, but all the stuff on Ubuntu forums that has been resolved sucessfully regards slow networking in 10.04, seems to come down to the same thing, IPv6

This is a direct lift from a bug report, with details of what was done to resolve it

Warning: Spoiler!

regards
Last edit: 14 Oct 2013 22:20 by ArcEye.

More
22 Oct 2013 22:42 #40177 by bqgray
Thanks so much for the info.

I had to let the project sit for a bit while I made some parts, but when I turned the computer back on after it sat for a week, things were working much better!?

In that time, I reconfigured my router to stop using the google DNS service and use one provided by my ISP.

I suspect that the google DNS is configured so that if you want to use it temporarily to get things working it is happy, but after a while it slows down to encourage you to move to a different server.

Regardless, I disabled IPv6 everywhere, and the network is working great on the LinuxCNC box now.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bill

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds