parport controller.

More
22 Nov 2013 03:05 #41087 by lewac
parport controller. was created by lewac
Anyhow I'm in the process of developing a PnP machine. and BTW webmaster (why are they called "masters"?... most of them only use scripting tools) needs to add a search function at the top of the forums here (for example seach on parport, parallel , port, something related). because I simply don't have the time to be going through a zillion postings to find something that may be relevant.

anyhow go here: yyao.ca/projects/ParallelPortLinux/. wanna learn something about the port? THIS is the place. This author has developed a tool that examines the port. Yeah you gotta compile it because its not a package in any repository. But the compile is no big deal simply follow directions (he even supplies source if you feel up to tinkering with it). See here's the issue. I have a fast MB. But the downside of that is its only a coupla years old... no parport. So I purchased a PCI parport daughter board & installed same (if you can't do this you're probably in the wrong line of work to begin with here). and guess what? is it working or not? my win7 VM sees the port but what about linux?

Anyhow this little jewel will tell you right now whether the port is working (or not working). You do not need to connect anything up to it as you just wanna know is the port working all by its lonesome self? Attached is a screenshot.

Data = well, parport data bits coming or going.
Stat = your read only bits derived from whatever is connected (your cnc machine!) the "n" in front of the signal indicates inversion.
Ctrl = outgoing "control" bits (that can of course be used for anything). and by default you have specific control of all pins that are labeled (not just Ctrl)..
pins 18-23 is ground. so. if you wanna control more than 4 or 5 axis's its a good bet that TWO parports are gonna be required because 17 pins is all you get PnP needs 4 axis's so I'm using all the data pins for this purpose (step direction for each axis)..
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2013 15:21 #41108 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic parport controller.

BTW webmaster (why are they called "masters"?... most of them only use scripting tools) needs to add a search function at the top of the forums here (for example seach on parport, parallel , port, something related). because I simply don't have the time to be going through a zillion postings to find something that may be relevant.

Something wrong with the big 'Search' tab at the top of the main Forum page or the permanent left hand frame containing the google based search, which covers wikis, web entries etc as well as the forum?

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...parallel-port-tester
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT, somenewguy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds