updating 2.3 to 2.4 in Hardy

More
19 Dec 2013 02:19 #41786 by dbotos
I tried these instructions to take it to 2.4 and it gave an error fetching files from the Ubuntu site:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.4

Network connection on the machine was fine. Would it work to grab the latest deb from here and install with the package manager?:

linuxcnc.org/hardy/dists/hardy/emc2.4/binary-i386/

Thanks,
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2013 02:52 - 19 Dec 2013 02:54 #41788 by JoeHildreth
You should be able to grab the latest .deb from that archive and run it with package manager. If there are any dependencies it should let you know and grab them as well.

When you changed the software source, did you run an update, and if you did was there an error. Can you oprn a terminal with
[CTRL][T]
and type the following:
sudo apt-get update

and send the response. Either is it was successful or the last few lines if there is an error. You can highlight with your mouse in the terminal window and copy with the [CRTL][SHIFT][C] key stroke.

Joe
Last edit: 19 Dec 2013 02:54 by JoeHildreth.

More
19 Dec 2013 07:08 #41799 by dbotos
Replied by dbotos on topic updating 2.3 to 2.4 in Hardy
With Synaptic, can you just download the deb from a web browser and then point Synaptic to it or do you have to download it using Synaptic?

Here's the error I got when trying to update per the wiki instructions:

Could not download all repository indexes

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.

Failed to fetch us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy...ary-i386/Packages.gz
Failed to fetch us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy/main/source/Sources.gz
Failed to fetch us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy...ed/source/Sources.gz
Failed to fetch us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy...se/source/Sources.gz
Failed to fetch security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-s...ary-i386/Packages.gz
Failed to fetch us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy...in/source/Sources.gz
Failed to fetch security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-s...in/source/Sources.gz
Failed to fetch security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-s...ed/source/Sources.gz
Failed to fetch security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-s...se/source/Sources.gz
Failed to fetch security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-s...se/source/Sources.gz
Failed to fetch us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy...ed/source/Sources.gz

Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

To me, it looks like it's trying to get stuff from the Ubuntu site when it should be going to the linuxcnc.org site. How do I tell it the right place to go?

More
19 Dec 2013 10:48 - 19 Dec 2013 10:53 #41807 by JoeHildreth
To answer your first question, yes, if the indexes are up to date. You can go to the web page and download the .deb file and save it to disk and just double click it too and Ubuntu will install it. However, if there are dependencies that need to be met, then it will most likely fail if Ubuntu cannot install them because the main repositories you point to are broken or down. The better solution is to try to get a good server to download your updates from.

Your second part with the error messages:

You are correct. Ubuntu is griping that it cannot get to it's main repositories. I have seen this happen with Ubuntu 10.04 in the past. If the newer release of Linuxcnc has any dependencies on updated libraries it will not install if it cannot get the indexes. This tends to happen occasionally over time when a software server (or the folks running it) decide not to carry the updates for a particualr release. But no worries, there are other who have them. The simplest way to fix this is ...

Click System | Administration | Software Sources
enter your password
When the dialog opens, click the Ubuntu Software Tab
In the Download From dropdown select "Other"
When the dialog opens click the Select best server Button.

It will perform several test on different available servers. When it is done a server will be highlighted

Clcik the choose Server button.

When it is done, if I remember correct it will tell you that your software indexes are out of date. Let it fetch them

Or open a terminal and type sudo apt-get update.

Let me know if you get any more repository errors. If all is good, Issue a sudo apt-get upgrade
This will update all your existing packages (Note this is not a distribution upgrade, only packages for 10.04)
When that is finished, this should have grabbed the newest ubuntu release from the repository you specified. In this case it should be emc2_2.4.7

I hope this helps. If you do get errors let me know and I will try to help you through them.

Joe
Last edit: 19 Dec 2013 10:53 by JoeHildreth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dbotos

More
20 Dec 2013 07:55 - 20 Dec 2013 07:56 #41850 by mtngun
Replied by mtngun on topic updating 2.3 to 2.4 in Hardy
I'm having the same problem as the OP. I've tried using the "best server" and I've tried several other randomly chosen servers yet I always get "could not download all repository indexes" errors. Then it won't let me upgrade to LinuxCNC because I don't have the dependencies.

My ISP is Wildblue satellite with high latency common to satellites. The latency causes it to frequently time out trying to load various web pages, so there could be a similar "time out" error going on with the ubuntu updates. :(
Last edit: 20 Dec 2013 07:56 by mtngun.

More
20 Dec 2013 08:16 #41851 by mtngun
Replied by mtngun on topic updating 2.3 to 2.4 in Hardy
After randomly trying many different sources, I finally got it to work using ftp.unina.it, which is in the US. Your mileage may vary.

More
20 Dec 2013 10:03 #41853 by JoeHildreth
There really is a catch 22 with using Ubuntu 10.04. Granted it is a LTS, but support for the desktop officially ended this past may. 10.04 Server support runs until April 2015. So in theory there should be updates, but what do they consider server software (Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc) and what do they consider desktop. I cannot see the difference truthfully, as I have seem some system admins run the desktop on their server and plenty of people running LAMP on their desktop.

I see two options for the future.

1) When a server is no longer giving updates, keep trying different servers until you find one.

2) The Linux CNC crew hosts update server for the packages that are required for LinuxCNC.

or maybe 3) Try to hold on until the developers release something more distribution friendly or new edition of Ubuntu if they plan on keep using that. (I think their intention is the former)

Now, moderator, this may be the wrong place to post this but ...

I use the computer for my CNC machine solely for my machine. Rarely do I do anything else with it. If That is the case with most users, why not roll your own OS and release LinuxCNC that way? Perhaps LinuxCNC-buntu where you strip out all the bloat and keep what you want. Perhaps with one of the lighter desktops! Not Unity!

Regards,

Joe
:)

More
20 Dec 2013 10:17 #41854 by JoeHildreth
I don't recall if it is listed in the mirrors, but archive.ubuntu.com is the server that the update servers for ubuntu mirror. You could try dropping that server on your source.list if nothing else.

HTH

Joe

More
20 Dec 2013 12:19 - 20 Dec 2013 12:20 #41857 by dbotos
Replied by dbotos on topic updating 2.3 to 2.4 in Hardy
It selected a columbia.edu mirror server and gave pretty much the same error as before, but with slightly different urls. Since mtngun had success with the ftp.unina.it server, I tried that and it magically worked. Interesting that it's on the US list, since it's a university in Naples, Italy. Mmm ... pizza ... (note that I'm not being stereotypical, since I am half Italian and also love pizza). ;)

It did prompt me during updating if I wanted to keep my existing /etc/emc2/rtapi.conf file. I chose to keep it since I had edited it manually for the SMI fix.

After the reboot, I tried to open up Linux CNC and it showed version 2.4.6 on the splash screen, but than crashed and gave the attached error. Any ideas?

(Joe, my Linux CNC computer is pretty much in the same boat as yours - it's pretty much just to run Linux CNC (well, or at least that's the intent)).

File Attachment:

File Name: 12_19_13_E...rror.txt
File Size:8 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Dec 2013 12:20 by dbotos.

More
20 Dec 2013 15:18 #41860 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic updating 2.3 to 2.4 in Hardy
Hi

If you run a config from 2.3 on > 2.4 with the .ini file line
NML_FILE =
not commented out

you will get the waiting for s.axes error

Assuming that the config worked on 2.3 try that first.

regards

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds