Can I ignore 30-100us jitter when loading opengl

More
08 Feb 2014 13:30 #43634 by boeserbaer
Hi All,

I am testing a gigabyte GA-e350n win8 motherboard. Prior to loading the fglrx driver I was getting consistent 6us or lower jitter on both the 1ms and the 25us threads. Graphics performance was terrible though. Now that I have loaded the fglrx driver, the jitter is still good, but when (and only when) I am loading or unloading an opengl application, There is a 30us up to possibly 100us spike in the interval timing. Running glxgears, resizing, and running multiple copies (only the first load causes spike, as long as another glxgears is running, the new glxgears don't spike) never causes increases beyond the nominal 4-6us jitter.

Oh, and the graphics performance is now acceptable.

I would assume that any LINUXCNC GUI activity that uses opengl, would load opengl prior to any motion commands, and would not be unloading opengl while moving?

So, The $100 question is: Can I ignore the spikes which I assume are part of the opengl load and unload sections?

Best Regards, Mike

My steppers and controllers arrive Monday!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2014 15:42 - 08 Feb 2014 19:48 #43637 by ArcEye
Hi

Sounds reasonable, so long as that is the true picture.

There are some boards which give initial spikes never to be repeated, that are perfectly usable.
You seem to have isolated the causation factors and as you say, so long as all spikes are before any movement and are not repeated you should be OK

Do try running Axis however and check for any other realtime errors, it is much heavier gl wise than glxgears

regards
Last edit: 08 Feb 2014 19:48 by ArcEye.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds