Prallel Port Card issues

More
19 May 2015 11:55 #58851 by rm446
The PC I wanted to load LinuxCNC on did not have a parallel port, so I bought a cheap Rosewill RC-302 PCI Adapter to get things going. I don't know much about Linux so I confirmed everything worked using Mach3 and Windows first. Now I'm trying to use LinuxCNC (I formatted the hard drive and installed the Debian Wheezy image) and I find I'm getting no signal to my parallel port and I have absolutely no idea how to check if Linux even recognizes it's there.

My first assumption was I needed to install a parallel port driver. I've tried installing a driver using the commands given in Chpt 15 of the Integration manual but my terminal doesn't recognize the "loadrt" command. So at this point I'm completely lost.

Can anyone link me to some instructions on how to do the following?

1.) Find out if Linux see's my parallel port
2.) Find the Base Address (like the 0x378) of said parallel port (the first two steps were done via the "Device Manager" in windows)
3.) Install the driver (or otherwise just get Linux to recognize and work with) my Parallel Port. Chapter 15 of the Integration manual sounds like it should cover this, but as I said the commands referenced in that section are not recognized by my terminal and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I am very much a Linux Newb here so I may be missing something rather obvious.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2015 13:29 #58853 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Prallel Port Card issues
Hi

There are no drivers needed, all the basic info is in my FAQ

Come back if you get stuck

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...-parallel-port-cards

regards

More
27 May 2015 11:09 #59095 by rm446
Replied by rm446 on topic Prallel Port Card issues
Thanks ArcEye!

It took me a little bit to catch on that I needed to save a stepper config first to create the .hal file in the first place, but once I figured that out I got it to read my parallel port. There's a nice LED on my driver board that lights up when it gets a command signal from the PC so I know that part is working now.

...now to figure out why the motors only stall (baby steps)

More
28 May 2015 06:11 #59133 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Prallel Port Card issues

now to figure out why the motors only stall (baby steps)

That's likely to be step timing problems (timing numbers are nS) or too-high velocity or accelerations (machine units / sec or /sec.sec, not per minute)

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds