Which version is available for download?

More
29 Feb 2016 07:31 #70798 by JLFin
At linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html you can D/L LinuxCNC ( www.linuxcnc.org/linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso ). However, I wonder why the file is named "linuxcnc-2.7" and not "linuxcnc-2.7.4" ??? If I have a file named "linuxcnc-2.7" already on my HDD, I can't tell if it's 2.7.2 or 2.7.3. or 2.7.4. The file that is available for D/L is exactly the same size (in KB) than the file I have downloaded 3 months ago, which makes me suspicious if the file is exactly the same. (However, I'm informed that 2.7.4 wasn't available 3 months ago...).

Does anyone know, what is the key benefit of naming files with different content with same name?
Does anyone know, is the named file certainly version 2.7.4?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2016 10:16 #70799 by andypugh
The logic might be that any 2.7 version will auto-update to the current latest version through the package manager.

More
29 Feb 2016 10:38 #70801 by JLFin
Thanks for answer. I'm afraid my LinuxCNC won't autoupdate, as it's an off-line PC in a garage, just controlling CNC.
So, the question still remains: Is that file 2.7.4. or something else? If it's 2.7.4, I still can't see the reason naming it "2.7" just because some installations autoupdate any 2.7.x versions...
The following user(s) said Thank You: numbskull

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds