Simulator

More
29 May 2016 14:10 #75220 by grump
Simulator was created by grump
Hi Guys.
I wonder if anyone can help me here?
I am trying to get a cnc simulator on my laptop, when say that I had better explain what I am trying to achieve.

I have a little HP i7 lappy with 8G ram, 140G SSD, for some strange reason the only way I could install Linux on it was by using a minimal install (nothing else would boot) then adding the full Kubuntu package afterwards.
This works great and I have all the software I require with a very pleasing gui, and it flies, I can use inkscape, f-engrave, dmap2gcode etc for designing most of what I do.
The benefit of this is not having to sit in a cold shed or walk back & forth continually to do my work.

A further enhancement would be to run the g-code through axis before transferring the files to the cnc control PC.
I have tried to follow the guides I have seen for installing Linuxcnc on the trusty tahr 14.04.4 but not been successful as yet.
Is it possible and how please?

Yes I have tried installing Linuxcnc directly to the lappy with no success, it simply scroll errors. No it's not my install media at fault, I can boot a live cd on all other PC's I have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2016 00:19 #75235 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Simulator
Try the deb packages for 12.04 or wheezy or jessie, but the sim or userspace versions, they work and install without problems on many other versions. I have the 2.8pre version installed on this laptop with linux mint and mate desktop, works like a charm as simulator.
Tom

More
30 May 2016 20:31 #75265 by grump
Replied by grump on topic Simulator
Thanks for the comment, I got around the issue by taking the ssd out of lappy and installing Linuxcnc to it in another pc.
When returned to lappy all is functional.
In fact I am using it to reply now, next job is to play and try to get a sim of my machine up and running.

More
31 May 2016 01:27 #75273 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Simulator
That works too, i have it installed on several usb sticks and external hdd and i can plug them on any desktop or laptop that i own ( over 20 ) and it works, always.
Glad you made it work,
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: grump

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds