Runs ok from Live DVD - Install turns PC off

More
20 Sep 2016 07:45 - 21 Sep 2016 09:20 #80656 by JammyJulien
Morning all,

I have just finished building myself a CNC mill - but I have a problem installing LinuxCNC (why else would I be here ?!)

Can I please note I do not have any hardware details at this moment as I am in work - This is a preliminary enquiry to see if anyone has any initial ideas.

I found a donor PC laying around with a on board parallel port - downloaded the latest version of the live CD and booted fine. I could use it and run the desktop, latency tests etc without issue.

However - If I try to do either a graphical install or a text install - the PC turns itself off after a few seconds - I do not get any prompts at all - its as though its getting ready to do something then just powers off.

The PC had a SATA CD Rom and HDD - which I swapped for IDE on both - but that made no difference. I also reset the BIOS to defaults but that didnt help either.

Has anyone got any trouble shooting tips please ?

I did some more tests last night. Ran the memory tests and hardware detection from the "Advanced Options". Everything worked out - but still wont install. I also added a GFX card (the previous attempts were using on-board) - still just turns off when attempting to install.

If I create the image on a USB stick instead of DVD - would I be able to inspect any log files to try to debug the issue ?
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 09:20 by JammyJulien.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2016 17:59 #80729 by BigJohnT
Try the older 10.04 LiveCD on this page .

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: JammyJulien

More
22 Sep 2016 05:09 #80761 by JammyJulien
Thanks Big John,

That version installed ok. I suspect it will be enough for my needs.

More
22 Sep 2016 15:01 #80772 by BigJohnT
To keep the updates working for 10.04 see the link on this page .

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: JammyJulien

More
23 Sep 2016 07:19 #80822 by JammyJulien
Thanks again John - I'll look into that.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds