reboot and select proper boot device

More
08 Jul 2019 20:22 #138889 by johns00056
I bought a hard drive from John Thornton with linuxcnc loaded on it. I get the above error when I start it up.

I looked at the boot options and priorities. It lists the new hard drive by model and serial number. I changed the boot order a bunch of different ways, but it won't boot.

I am putting together a new spare computer for my cnc mill. Everything is new, hard drive, motherboard, power supply, case, etc.

My cnc machine uses Mesa 5i25, 7i85, 8i20, 7i84, 7i83.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2019 20:37 #138890 by tommylight
Press F12 ( in some cases F8 or F11 or F2 ) to choose a boot device, on new motherboards there are now two types of storage devices ( USB flash included ), so you usually get "UEFI name_of_boot_DEVICE" or plain "name_of_boot_device"
Try both of those types, as they are not the same, and not interchangeable.

Personally, i hated UEFI even before it went to market, back when it was just a draft, so i just disable it totally whenever possible, but on new boards it is not possible, and on new laptops there is no option of using the non UEFI boot.

More
08 Jul 2019 22:03 #138899 by johns00056
I get an Asrock UEFI screen, It lists a AHCI PO name_of_boot_DEVICE.

I think that I have it set correctly.

More
08 Jul 2019 23:02 - 08 Jul 2019 23:05 #138906 by Grotius
@John,

Remember..

I bought a hard drive from John Thornton with linuxcnc loaded on it.
I get the above error when I start it up.

Did you ask JT first about your problem?

I don't like this situation... My girl friend would say to you : First ask at your supplier bitch.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2019 23:05 by Grotius.

More
08 Jul 2019 23:23 #138912 by johns00056
I hate to bother John T. with my stupid beginner questions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
08 Jul 2019 23:32 #138914 by BigJohnT
Hey, I'm here... check the SATA cable, you may have a bad one. I test boot each drive after copying the master hard drive. Boot with only the hard drive so you don't have to make a choice at boot up.

I got your message but could not understand it exactly so I sent you an email.

When things don't go the way you expect you ask questions.

JT

More
08 Jul 2019 23:35 #138915 by BigJohnT

Press F12 ( in some cases F8 or F11 or F2 ) to choose a boot device, on new motherboards there are now two types of storage devices ( USB flash included ), so you usually get "UEFI name_of_boot_DEVICE" or plain "name_of_boot_device"

Personally, i hated UEFI even before it went to market, back when it was just a draft, so i just disable it totally whenever possible, but on new boards it is not possible, and on new laptops there is no option of using the non UEFI boot.

Tommy, I normally don't use UEFI, if his hardware is so new it only does UEFI that could also be the problem?

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 Jul 2019 00:00 #138918 by BigJohnT

@John,

Remember..

I bought a hard drive from John Thornton with linuxcnc loaded on it.
I get the above error when I start it up.

Did you ask JT first about your problem?

I don't like this situation... My girl friend would say to you : First ask at your supplier bitch.

Most of the time the folks here know more than me lol...

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
09 Jul 2019 09:26 #138934 by tommylight

Tommy, I normally don't use UEFI, if his hardware is so new it only does UEFI that could also be the problem?

JT

Some 4 days ago i had to check a Dell Vostro laptop, it does not boot from anything but UEFI, so that makes things really messed up since it is known to have many issues.
Normal PC's still tend to have normal boot, at least all that i have dealt with.
It is agravating to see how the industry accepts and pushes really bad design decisions and we end up dealing with the fallout. Another example is USB C, to many damn pins doing to many things and no clear reference of it, and the part tha normally breaks is lokated in the device, not in the cable, so any break renders the device useless.

More
09 Jul 2019 20:31 #138968 by johns00056
I have spent most of a day exchanging hard drives and spare computers,

The new computer with new motherboard does not work with any hard drive.

The linuxcnc hard drive that I got from John T. does not work in any computer. I get either- reboot and select proper boot device,
or- black screen with white blinking underscore on the upper left.

Some of the windows7 equipped hard drives start right up , but sometimes I get a message that says- your computer was unable to start, startup repairs,attempting repairs.

Sometimes the repairs work and other times they fail.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds