The Lazy Linux Kernel Builder's Script

More
15 Aug 2019 07:00 - 08 Nov 2019 08:56 #142196 by GradeMind
I've put together a script designed to make the process of kernel modification less painful and hopefully more widespread.
The future of linuxcnc will depend on availability of known good latency hardware platforms to build on.

It is based on JohnT's work here:

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/index.html
(Big thanks John!)

It can be placed anywhere on the disk (location agnostic, but prefer within a empty folder for cleanliness) and when run it gives options for different things, lets kernel files be downloaded and patched, run the make file, download deb files for building, install buildbot repos.

It needs some more fine tuning but I think it could be useful for people building their own kernels or testing computer hardware for latency.

If someone wants to put it someplace online for community access and modification, please feel free. Or just this thead maybe as its a small file<>?
Last edit: 08 Nov 2019 08:56 by GradeMind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2019 17:07 #142255 by andypugh
Whilst I applaud the idea, I do wonder if it would be a maintenance headache to keep up to date. It might be better to extract the dependencies from the debian config, for example (dpkg-checkbuilddeps)

Is there any need to patch the kernel for preempt-rt any more? I think that there are pre-patched versions as packages for x86

and pre-packed SD images for Pi:

unofficialpi.org/Distros/RealtimePi/

Neither are _especially_ easy to find from info on this forum, which is why I put them here. I am not trying to belittle the effort that you have put in to your script.
Attachments:

More
15 Aug 2019 17:18 #142258 by PCW
There are pre-patched versions of many X86 kernels but most are not kept up-to-date
so if you have newer hardware you may need to build a kernel (4.9 is pretty ancient kernel wise)

More
15 Aug 2019 17:36 #142262 by andypugh
I assume that Synaptic was finding 4.9 as that VM is running Stretch.
I don't have a Buster handy to do the same search with.

More
15 Aug 2019 20:50 #142286 by GradeMind
I'm running Lubuntu not sure if things are different with the dependencies etc

Honestly got frustrated with the process and used the build-bot instead of compiling in the end hah.
Dependency hell is a real place. Not sure what was best to try and find them all./

Running on a Lightweight PC - low on power so needed an older kernel and a lightweight OS..

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds