Config Auto-Updater Not Working / Crazy Jitter Numbers?

More
30 Apr 2020 19:18 #166242 by ajklotz
Hello all

I'm a wordy guy, so I'll TRY to keep this short. New to Linux, some experience with using EMC2 but first time trying to set it up on a new install.

Background:
Warning: Spoiler!

Error Report:
Warning: Spoiler!

TL;DR - Script error when trying to use the auto-updater for the config files:

Debug file information:
Can not find -sec EMC -var VERSION -num 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/update_ini", line 221, in <module>
features = int(ini.find('RS274NGC', 'FEATURES'))
TypeError: int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'

It may not be appropriate to put this in here too, but it's all for installing this, so hopefully this is fine.

Our goal for Max Jitter was previously 7500/7500, but on the new software I'm seeing 100,000+/400,000+. Is this because the software is taking resources and our hardware can't keep up? Is 1.8GHZ Intel Atom D2500 and 4GB ram not enough? Is this because I'm now on a PREEMPT kernel while we were using RTAI before? Do I just not have settings correct? Should I be checking for background processes I don't need running? Other tips/tricks/thoughts on this?

Let me know if there are any other details I'm missing. Thank you for any info you can provide!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2020 07:15 #166281 by bbsr_5a
Hi
Welcome
as the Config is very old you may need (( and it gives you a better setup also )) to get a new Config from the WIZARD

JITTER
can you please post the output FROM Terminal ----> uname -a

seams there is a wrong kernel running

More
01 May 2020 14:59 - 01 May 2020 14:59 #166328 by ajklotz
Hi, thank you for the response thus far.

For the Config, it seemed like I should probably start expecting to just have to re-do it. It's just that these mills were set up a long time ago, and I think my boss didn't want to have to go through figuring it all out again since everything is already dialed in. That's pretty much on me now, so I guess I'll have to figure it out. Any chance you have tips on at least referencing the old config for values I might be able to re-use during set-up?

For the Jitter: the output from that command is:

Linux Mill-12 4.19.106-rt44-lcnc #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Mar 5 00:02:34 AEDT 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

As far as I'm aware, this is the one that came with the Linux Mint ISO I grabbed from here.

Thanks again
Last edit: 01 May 2020 14:59 by ajklotz.

More
01 May 2020 15:05 #166330 by bbsr_5a
the jitter shoudt be better then bevor as mint dont access powerconsuming
is there a USB device on the system like WIFI .... some adapter
maybe your optical mouse does prompt the power

if you upload the intirer machine Folder someone coudt quick get a working copy back to you

WHAT linuxcnc version are you on
the iso needs to be updatet to 2.8

More
18 May 2020 21:42 #168194 by ajklotz

the jitter shoudt be better then bevor as mint dont access powerconsuming
is there a USB device on the system like WIFI .... some adapter
maybe your optical mouse does prompt the power

if you upload the intirer machine Folder someone coudt quick get a working copy back to you

WHAT linuxcnc version are you on
the iso needs to be updatet to 2.8

Hi there, sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. They moved me onto another project for a bit and I was expecting to see an email when there was a reply, so I didn't think to check back.

The board we are running is Intel D2500HN, which doesn't appear to have onboard WiFi, and I don't think we have added any other cards. Not sure about the mouse either. Is there something I can do to check?

LinuxCNC says I have 2.8.0~pre on the splash screen. When you mean "upload the entire machine folder", do you mean the machine folder we were previously using so someone could look at updating/concerting it? I have attached that.

Just for the most up-to-date reference point, I'm running the Latency Test, moved some windows, loaded Youtube video. 80386 Servo Thread/119874 Base Thread. This same hardware used to have the Latency Test resulting under 7500, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned with the hardware, or if the software is just too much more for it, or I'm just not set up correctly trying to go from RTAI kernel to Preempt like now..

I'm already super new to all of this, and now I'm a couple weeks rusty on top of that, but any info at all would be helpful while I continue to scour for information or alternate software set-ups.
Attachments:

More
18 May 2020 22:03 #168195 by PCW
In general you are not likely to see very good Preemt-RT latency numbers on low power CPUs like the D2500.

Is there some reason not to use the old Wheezy RTAI image?

More
18 May 2020 22:38 #168200 by ajklotz

In general you are not likely to see very good Preemt-RT latency numbers on low power CPUs like the D2500.

Is there some reason not to use the old Wheezy RTAI image?

The original reason I switched to this was my newborn knowledge in all of this was based around the Ubuntu 10.04 we had been using. By the time I fought through any form of updating/fresh-installing anything newer than that, I finally did end up trying that Wheezy iso.

I got caught up in some of the differences trying to now be using Debian. It was missing bits and pieces I was used to having and I couldn't get the repositories working to get any of it.. Mainly that I couldn't get our network drive mounted and couldn't get samba.

Then I found that an ubuntu/mint version was floating around, which instantly had me back and feeling comfortable with getting things set up. Ended up switching that to XFCE because it was running like garbage and I had seen how well XFCE went while I was trying Ubuntu 18 along the way.

Then I finally got to the latency test and found out how off the mark I was.

If it would be easier/required to just get used to whatever I need to do with Debian/wheezy and go back to getting RTAI going, I can do that.. I was originally tasked with 'update everything' and it seemed like wheezy was already running out of support, but if just using that iso is the best shot I've got, I'll give it another go.

More
18 May 2020 22:46 #168203 by PCW
There is a buster/RTAI image floating around, that may be worth a try
Maybe someone with more direct current RTAI experience can chime in here

More
19 May 2020 06:59 #168230 by tommylight
There were two Mint ISO's with RTAI, one made by me, but i can not find it !
It can be used as live version to test but installing it to HDD had some issues and failed. The other one was removed.
Fount it
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-rtai-and-preempt-rt

More
19 May 2020 17:27 #168286 by ajklotz

There were two Mint ISO's with RTAI, one made by me, but i can not find it !
It can be used as live version to test but installing it to HDD had some issues and failed. The other one was removed.
Fount it
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-rtai-and-preempt-rt

Firstly, thank you for the time and reply and info.

Then, I'm not trying to be a pain, but this is all so new and confusing so:

I see that should be an ISO with RTAI, but I'm concerned about the "boot from usb" only. We have 12+ mills we are looking to run this on and I'm not sure Boot from USB is going to be an acceptable end result for my boss. Looking through the thread, it looked like it was back and forth on whether it could eventually be tweaked enough to get it to install.

If the main issue I have right now is the Kernel, can I just swap to the RTAI kernel, or does the entire image need to be built around that? I found this along the way: linuxcnc.org/temp/ but I wouldn't know which one to grab. The RTAI with AMD64 in the name?

Or is it still going to be easier to try to get Wheezy going and deal with learning what I have to learn with Debian and fixing the repositories? With how slow Ubuntu 18.04 and Mint Mate (or cinnamon?) were running, I'm concerned that main distro might not be light enough? Is there an XFCE equivalent?

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds