10.04 live cd no Realtime

More
22 Sep 2011 19:00 #13367 by andypugh
kate wrote:

I hope that for future releases of EMC2, there should be ready made kernel, rtai and emc2 for uniprocessor

Are you saying that the current release doesn't work on uniprocessor machines? I thought it just didn't work on non-Lapic multiprocessor machines.

I did suggest a dual-kernel distribution, but it turns out to be impossible, and would require two versions.
thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/4779

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2011 20:11 #13368 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Re:10.04 live cd no Realtime
andypugh wrote:

kate wrote:

I hope that for future releases of EMC2, there should be ready made kernel, rtai and emc2 for uniprocessor

Are you saying that the current release doesn't work on uniprocessor machines? I thought it just didn't work on non-Lapic multiprocessor machines.

I don't have extensive material with multiple machines. It is just that it don't work with non LAPIC machines and kernel did not allow
turning LAPIC off unless you have uniprocessor kernel, APIC was designd for SMP, so I don't know is there uniprocessor
boards with LAPIC or not.

I did suggest a dual-kernel distribution, but it turns out to be impossible, and would require two versions.
thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/4779

That's reason why I needed compile both rtai and emc2 . Rtai depends on kernel and emc2 rtapi depends on rtai

Other problem is that if you are running from live-CD you need chose kernel to boot up. I think
that it is acceptable situation that in case of uniprocessor system, it needs to be installed to local
disc and this installer could then install uniprocessor versions or kernel, rtai and emc2

Kate

More
22 Sep 2011 20:49 #13369 by andypugh
kate wrote:

Other problem is that if you are running from live-CD you need chose kernel to boot up. I think
that it is acceptable situation that in case of uniprocessor system, it needs to be installed to local
disc and this installer could then install uniprocessor versions or kernel, rtai and emc2

Interesting idea. Do you feel like suggesting it on the dev list? You sound like you have rather more idea what you are talking about than me.

More
23 Sep 2011 08:29 #13377 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:10.04 live cd no Realtime
Hello Kate,

Welcome to the forum. Great post and information.

I have been working on a similar project, with the thought that many of the computers that will not work with 10.04 but are fine on 8.04 might be fine with changes made at compile time, smp from what I have read seemed to be a possible culprit.

Earlier this week I did build a new kernel to start testing on some single core computers here that are running 8.04 but will not run 10.04. I did find my first attempt to build from scratch to be a bit of a bumpy road.

Which kernel version and RTAI did you compile with?

Rick G

More
23 Sep 2011 09:35 #13378 by andypugh
Rick G wrote:

I did find my first attempt to build from scratch to be a bit of a bumpy road.

I failed for months, until a guy on the IRC put together this guide:
code.google.com/p/neo-technical/wiki/emc2ubuntu

More
23 Sep 2011 10:58 #13380 by Rick G
Andy,

That is one of the guides I used, I found it on one of your older post, very helpful.
When I first tried it I could not get the cvs downloads to work, (still do not know why) so I went to an older version 2.6.32.11 that was availabel in tar.

Rick G

More
23 Sep 2011 11:45 #13386 by Rick G

I failed for months, until a guy on the IRC put together this guide

Now I don't feel so bad.

Rick G

More
23 Sep 2011 13:05 #13391 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Re:10.04 live cd no Realtime
Rick G wrote:

Which kernel version and RTAI did you compile with?

I used just ones i got from apt-get source , linux_2.6.32-122.35.rtai and rtai_3.8.1-linuxcnc1

apt-get source rtai
apt-get source linux-image-2.6.32-122-rtai

Notice -, _ and . on names . You can get right version of names apt-cache search rtai

The trick is that what files need to be patched in kernel tree to get it build right image, that's
the most complicated thing is patch right files and it needs some knowledge about building
ubuntu kernels. As short, you need swiths SMP and LOCAL_APIC off in rtai variant.

Kate

More
07 Oct 2011 10:44 #13740 by Rick G
Kate,

Would you be willing to post step by step instructions on what you did?

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds