halrun error "cannot gain I/O privileges" error

More
26 Jan 2021 17:03 #196636 by bacon
I installed linuxcnc using a the 2.8.0 Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT iso. I'm using a PCI parallel port card which has the MosChip 9865 chipset. I got the error message "cannot gain I/O privileges - forgot 'sudo make setuid'?" when trying to run the parallel port tester provided here: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Parallel_Port_Tester. I then uninstalled the linuxcnc package and built it using these commands:

git clone git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
cd linuxcnc-dev/src
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-realtime=uspace
make
sudo make setuid
sudo adduser bacon lp

I still get the "cannot gain I/O privileges" error. Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2021 00:28 #196688 by andypugh
It sounds like your user account isn't a member of the group that has access to I/O.

You could try adding yourself to lp and/or dialout. (but these are just guesses)

wiki.debian.org/SystemGroups

More
27 Jan 2021 00:43 #196691 by bacon
Thanks for the suggestion Andy. I ran the commands "sudo adduser bacon lp" and "sudo adduser bacon dialout" and still have not luck.

More
27 Jan 2021 01:00 #196694 by andypugh
Googling the error message I see a suggestion that re-doing "sudo make setuid" can bypass the problem.

But, if you are compiling LinuxCNC then typically it installs run-in-place, so you need to, in a terminal:

. ./scripts/rip-environment
linuxcnc

(Yes, the first line really is dot-space-dot-slash)

More
27 Jan 2021 03:03 #196699 by bacon
At a loss for what else to do, I reset all of my BIOS settings to defaults, reinstalled the OS and linuxcnc from the Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT iso, and the problem is now resolved.

More
24 Sep 2021 14:27 #221497 by safarir
Hi All,

I came across the same problem with a new PC. I did some digging and the problem is cause by kernel_lockdown when secure boot is enable. This would only prevent the usage of parallel port, but I expect any machine that have secure boot to probably not have parallel port anyway.

I create a ticket to get this fix:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/1272

I the mean time, you can either disable secure boot, or build from source and comment the same line as indicated in the ticket.

Charles

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds