kernel panic on Buster instaltion

More
24 Jun 2021 20:22 #212847 by laisch
Hi!

I am struggling to install the newest LinuxCNC Release 2.8 (Debian Buster Image).
On my old PC which I plan to use for my future CNC build I am only able to boot the Live (failsafe) version.
When I am trying to install or boot the normal live mode, I get a Kernel Panic after 1 minute or so.

The ISO seems to be OK. I can boot the Life mode on my Laptop.

For now I installed the official Wheezy Image and it is working well. But since I don't really want to run an end of life version I am hoping that someone can give me some tips to get Buster running (installing).

Some infos of my machine:
Pentium D (15/4/7) 3.00 Ghz
2x 1Gb DDR2
1,5TB

I used the official released Buster ISO burned on an USB device with rufus.

BIOS:
SMBIOS 2.3
Version 6.00 PG

Best Regards
Thomas
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2021 21:11 #212851 by tommylight
First check the md5sum of the downloaded ISO file.
That type of kernel panic is usually due to failing memory modules, so open the case, see if there is more than 1 DIMM then yank all but 1 out, boot the PC from USB and if it boots shut it down, add another DIMM, boot again, rinse and repeat.

More
25 Jun 2021 04:34 #212871 by BeagleBrainz
For what it is worth it is safe to run a distro that is end of life for Linuxcnc. Just don't use it to browse the interwebs. Eventually ALL distros go end of life. Even older distros are being used to run Linuxcnc. Unless of course the hardware you have is not supported by Wheezy, then that is another kettle of fish.

Actually you maybe surprised to find out how old the Linux kernels are on some home routers that are in regular use.
Openwrt uses a 4.14 kernel, I have one that runs 3.18.23 and have never had an issue. Even my pfsense router\firewall is based on FreeBSD 11.3 (which is an EOL release).

Think of a computer running Linuxcnc the same as the computer that handles the engine management for your car (and yes some have been hacked wirelessly). It sits there and does it's job day in and day out, unless you have a Tesla updates aren't thought of.

Wheezy does have Linuxcnc updates for 2.8 so that is a non issue.

If you are looking at using the Parallel Port Wheezy maybe your best option, if of course you are not getting good latency with Buster.

More
25 Jun 2021 06:17 #212877 by laisch
Thx for the fast reply :)

Checksum was ok. I also burnd the Image on different usb devices with different tools and slightly different settings.
I also tried a Deb10 Dvd (not linuxcnc) burned by a friend of mine wich lead to the same result.
That type of kernel panic is usually due to failing memory modules, ...
That was also the first thing I read in an other forum. So i tried it with all types of variations with 1gb and 512mb I had laying around, by switching them around on the 4 slots. I also run a memtest for more then 2 hrs without any errors. I stayed with thw 2x 1gb configuration.

For what it is worth it is safe to run a distro that is end of life for Linuxcnc. Just don't use it to browse the interwebs.

That was somehow the plan if I put a PC in my garage to also use it also for other stuff.

f you are looking at using the Parallel Port Wheezy maybe your best option, if of course you are not getting good latency with Buster.

That's an argument! Yes I am planning to run the cnc via LPT and my badest latency I got was about 30000ns when I stressed the pc.
I am not sure if I will stick with LinuxCNC when finishing this project or try some Arduino based controllers with gbrl. That's why I don't want to invest in a Mesa card for now and stay with what I've laying arround for testing.
So the best thing in your opinion is to stay on wheezy and see the pc as what it is, just a cnc controller?

More
25 Jun 2021 07:26 #212881 by BeagleBrainz

Thx for the fast reply :)

Checksum was ok. I also burnd the Image on different usb devices with different tools and slightly different settings.
I also tried a Deb10 Dvd (not linuxcnc) burned by a friend of mine wich lead to the same result.
That type of kernel panic is usually due to failing memory modules, ...
That was also the first thing I read in an other forum. So i tried it with all types of variations with 1gb and 512mb I had laying around, by switching them around on the 4 slots. I also run a memtest for more then 2 hrs without any errors. I stayed with thw 2x 1gb configuration.

For what it is worth it is safe to run a distro that is end of life for Linuxcnc. Just don't use it to browse the interwebs.

That was somehow the plan if I put a PC in my garage to also use it also for other stuff.

f you are looking at using the Parallel Port Wheezy maybe your best option, if of course you are not getting good latency with Buster.

That's an argument! Yes I am planning to run the cnc via LPT and my badest latency I got was about 30000ns when I stressed the pc.
I am not sure if I will stick with LinuxCNC when finishing this project or try some Arduino based controllers with gbrl. That's why I don't want to invest in a Mesa card for now and stay with what I've laying around for testing.
So the best thing in your opinion is to stay on wheezy and see the pc as what it is, just a cnc controller?

Yep, just let it be a cnc controller.

The beauty of using the parallel port, if you are careful with your wiring, swapping between grbl & linuxcnc could be as simple as a cable swap between the 2 and your controller box. I think after testing the 2 you may feel that Linuxcnc shines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: laisch

More
25 Jun 2021 11:14 #212895 by BigJohnT

But since I don't really want to run an end of life version I am hoping that someone can give me some tips to get Buster running (installing).

My CHNC lathe is still running Ubntu 10.04! and no issues at all. Yes that is from 11 years ago. As others mentioned I don't surf the web from my Hardinge I just make parts. On another note my BP Discovery 308 VMC has a 389 motherboard! and still runs fine.

JT

More
28 Jun 2021 14:34 #213143 by andypugh
There is the option of trying the RTAI kernel (and the matching LinuxCNC). That might be more (or less) stable.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...#cha:Installing-RTAI

But note that, as of last night, there is a 4.19.195 kernel and RTAI, so use that where it says 4.14.174

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds