AMD Vega display issue with 2.8.2 ISO

More
26 Nov 2021 14:28 #227653 by caretech
Good morning,

I'm setting up a new computer and having difficulty with the official 2.8.2 ISO. It will run fine in the Live environment off the USB stick but once installed, the graphical desktop will not load. I have no graphics other than a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. Pressing Ctrl + Alt + F2 drops me into a shell as expected, and from there I did enough diagnostics to figure out that my display driver is "UNCLAIMED." The Xorg log file has this interesting log line, among other errors:
(EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify BusID's

The computer I'm using is this little beauty .

I found some others with the same issue on kernel version 4.19, in the Debian forums. Some solved their issue by upgrading to a newer kernel. However, with the official Debian 10 distro, and because we need RT, the kernel options are limited? or is there a 5.x kernel available to upgrade to?

I have been eyeing the excellent forum post detailing how to install on MX Linux . Is that a good, stable option? This computer is destined for a plasma table in a busy shop and will need to be reliable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2021 21:30 #227689 by caretech
update -- I'm presently setting up on MX Linux 19.4 and the desktop environment is working well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Nov 2021 22:38 #227701 by tommylight
Thanks for reporting back, next week i should get a 5600G.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds