swapping hard disk problems

More
30 Jan 2022 18:31 #233566 by robertjenkins
I had Linuxcnc working fine on my old old PC but then the machine failed. I acquired another ancient machine and thought I would just swap the old hard disk into the new machine. This kind of works, in that it boots up and gets me to the page where I have to choose Debian. However, whereas I would then previously have had strings of text scrolling across the screen as linux loaded, followed by a log in page, I don't see anything. The HD is whirring but nothing is appearing on the monitor. I'm pretty sure I am getting to the login page because if I type in my username and password, the HD goes into action again, and I get to what I presume is my desktop, except that all that shows on the screen is a single brown rectangle. I realise this isn't really an installation problem but I feel it ought to be quite easily fixable if I knew how. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2022 17:51 #233896 by BigJohnT
Boot to a LiveCD and copy all the files from the old hard drive to a USB drive or another hard drive. The installation process for Linux configures the software for the hardware. So if the hardware is different (display adapter for example) you might get what you see.

JT

More
03 Feb 2022 18:58 #233900 by robertjenkins
Thanks actually I solved it by putting "Nomodeset' into the grub bootloader ... I have no idea what this means but it seemed to work ... although I then had to do something with the power saving settings

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds